Audio Technica 33 PTG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi

I am planning to use an Audio Technica 33PTG cartridge and would apreciate information regarding it´s best loading in ohm.

A good friend of mine suggested 180 - 220r so that will be my first attempt but as this is a critical build, I would like some more opinions.

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Becarefor Ricardo, step-up impedance isn't the same that a load resistor. Vinylengine suggest a minimum load resistor of 20 ohms or more

The coil resistance is 17Ω, so the load impedance is 94x the coil resistance. Any value greater than 10x is usually OK.

The series combination of coil inductance and load resistance will have a -3dB point at R/(2πL)

For example if you choose 170 ohms / 2π x 0.070uH (coil inductance) = -3dB at 386Hz

Mine advice is try to left out the -3dB of the ear bandwith in this case is more easy to do with lower resistance possible so:

20 ohms / 2π x 0.070uH (coil inductance) = -3dB at 45Hz not bad far away from mids-lows it's a good choice

That's always theoretically of course fine adjust by ear.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sorry bad calculated, I trust in Audio Technica web so 70uH = 0.00007H

-3dB point at R/(2πL)

100 ohms / 2π x 0.00007H = -3dB at 227.355Hz very good out of ear bandwith

If was milihenry like Audiocubes web 70mH = 0.07H

100 ohms / 2π x 0.07H = -3dB at 227Hz very bad mid-low range bandwith

I doubt Audiocubes specs, seems the coil inductance very high for a small magnet wire....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.