SME connector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I ditched the 4 pin connector on my SME 3009 Series II a couple of years ago (gave the resulting left over cable to a friend) and installed a set of RCA jacks from analogaudio.de.. Allows me to use any cable I like at a moments notice and is much more reliable than the funky contact material SME used in those two connectors. I think under some circumstances those contacts can generate distortion - the replacement set up actually sounded noticeably better, a surprise to me since I was mostly looking for freedom from the tyranny of the stock SME cable.

There are lot of lower cost options on eBay. Note that many of these set ups require more space under the TT unless you find a kit with side mounted RCAs.

I ditched the 4 pin connector on my SME 3009 Series II a couple of years ago (gave the resulting left over cable to a friend) and installed a set of RCA jacks from analogaudio.de.. Allows me to use any cable I like at a moments notice and is much more reliable than the funky contact material SME used in those two connectors. I think under some circumstances those contacts can generate distortion - the replacement set up actually sounded noticeably better, a surprise to me since I was mostly looking for freedom from the tyranny of the stock SME cable.

There are lot of lower cost options on eBay. Note that many of these set ups require more space under the TT unless you find a kit with side mounted RCAs.

A right angle piece of plastic(used for wall corner protection)and a pair of rca sockets would do fine.Even better imo would be to fit the rca sockets on the back of the turntable plinth.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had to go back to the SME set-up temporarily, and worse to the right-angle set up at that. (Bodge city between the good arm and a parts unit.) All this to allow me to do the strangest thing of fitting an SME 3009 Series II on an SME 20/2 TT last week-end.. Yes it does work and sound good, but it's also a little more awkward to use than the SME V that should be on there - at least I think so.. :D Somehow I doubt this has been done before, but it bolts right on..

Did you ever get that 4 pin connector?

SME sells a right angle RCA connector setup that bolts right up, but costs a small fortune of course.

Do not loose the original hardware, it's apparently British standard stuff - hard to find outside the UK..

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.