Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2010, 10:51 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Smile TD150/SME3009 renovation experience

I'm almost through the renovation of my TD150(MkII)/SME3009(MkII-Improved) combo, and had the lef/right imbalance problem in the past as well. That proved to be the cartridge worn out, probably years ago, but then I didn't have anything decent behind my "inherited" tt to really notice. Since I've also replaced the entire wire loom, headshell and headshell connection. The guys from Moth group have been very helpful in getting spare parts (see British Audio Products Online - High end Audio Accessories, Hardware, Turntables and spares). In fact, I can heartily recommend their Incognito silver wire loom (straight from the cartridge to the pre-amp!) and SRM Thorens enhancement kit, with several rubber enhancements. Big fun to try them out one by one and judge the difference...

I've got one question in general, as I've given up on trying to make my own new plinth. As I've got a feeling the turntable would benifit greatly from a much more solid plinth than the old cheapo low density fibre one now, though I wouldn't go as far as a slate, as you see for the rim and direct drive models. Anyone knows where I could get a decent wooden plinth these days?
Anyone who knows the inner dimensions of an LP12 plinth, as those seem to be around plentyful? maybe I can adapt one ...
Old 21st September 2010, 01:08 PM   #12
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Default Pro and cons of high mass / low mass plinths

Light plinths will vibrate more easily but they will
store less energy (due to the low mass) and therefore
have a much shorter decay time.
The suspension is tuned to a low resonant frequency and
thus isolates the turntable from vibrations with a compareably
short decay.
Heavy plinths will not resonate that easily but _if_ they
eventually do they store more energy (larger moving mass)
and will have a longer decay wich will counteract the
isolation effect of the suspension.

A heavier plinth with a suspended turntable will not give
you "better" bass but probably more but less precise bass.

In short this is why almost all experienced manufacturers
of suspended turntables (Linn, Thorens etc.) do _not_ use
heavy plinth.

If you use a high mass plinth the you could abandon the
suspension at all but use _really_ a lot of mass with high density then
(like Micro Seiki or the likes).

Low / high mass turntables have been a controversial subject
since they exist, so probably many won´t agree with what I wrote...
Old 21st September 2010, 02:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hallo Georg,

Thanks for a comprehensive reply!
As odd as it may sound, having owned the Thorens for over 20 years, I'm quite new to the details of tt design and all the controversies entailed ...

I can see where you're comming from on the low mass, low density plinth in a suspended design. For a while I was tempted to buy a completely new tt & arm, but the more I looked around and listened, I got convinced the old style heavy platter & suspension gave me the sound that I like. Looking at the plinth from resonance freq perspective, I can see the advantages of keeping it like that, so very likely I'll stay with that.

In the meantime I've figured out an LP12 plinth fits the TD150 in depth (305mm - most importantly) and is only ~3cm wider (400mm vs 375), which is easily covered by an extra inset next to the armboard. And you can get an LP12 plinth for €50~€70 on eBay ... can't do any better to give it a try ;-)
Old 21st September 2010, 03:47 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicalMike View Post
And you can get an LP12 plinth for €50~€70 on eBay ... can't do any better to give it a try ;-)
If you go this route, make sure it has the corner braces, as the early one's didn't.

jeff
Old 21st September 2010, 06:05 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You might well want to try a few different mats -- i was never enamoured of the stock one.

dave
Old 21st September 2010, 09:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The LP12 ones I saw now on eBay don't have the corner braces (had picked that comment up from somewhere already), but as I'll need to do some small modifications to the internal supports anyway by the looks of it, I can easily add the corner braces as well. It's the fit of the corners on the main plinth that daunt me for making my own .

Anyway, I think I'll do it step by step and judge the differences by ear. The only way to go with serious audio in my book: it needs to sound good to these ears

And the mat I haven't got to yet. That's another tweak down the road, just as the feet, although the stock ones on the LP12 plinth may be sufficient. In that respect I think a complete "base" would be better, but better still heavy duty wall-mounting. Now it sits on a solid oak cabinet set on a concrete floor (covered by low density laminate wood flooring with a 1mm cork underfloor - that really did the trick over tiles )

Hide this!Advertise here!