MY TT build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

Thought i would post some pics of my TT build.
The base is 80mm South Australian slate. The platter is 75mm acrylic i got spun up at a near by engineers shop, $$$$!
The bearing is a teres bearing and tone arm is origin live, fully modded.

Ill post some details on the AC sync motor control later.

Now waiting on another piece of slate to house motor and speed control.

Attachments

• IMGP2493.jpg
    IMGP2493.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMGP2494.jpg
    IMGP2494.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMGP2495.jpg
    IMGP2495.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 996
Thanks for the kind words. It is alond way off the final dusting and polish

The acrylic was purchased as a block then custom machined. The engineer shop spent 6 hours machining and polishing. The guy was great to deal with and gave me a good price considering the work envolved.

The slate is from Mintaro slate in South Australia. Nice quality stone with no defects in it. Motor is an AC sync motor from ebay. Ill posy some pics of the speed control when its finally built. It is going to be housed in a seperate stone housing that sits neatly along side the TT. My brother is an elec engineer and has programmed some chip to produce the two offset frequencies. Then i used two LM 3886 boards from chipamp.com to amplify the signal. With rthe push of a button i can adjust frequencuy and voltage. Sorry i dont know the fine details, all this DIy electrical is newto me.

The TT is pretty much complete. I just need to finalised the wheel for the motor.
The platter spins beautifully with either a fine thread of cotton or with the rim drive using an O-ring. unfortunately it will be a little while until i can do a comparison. Whensetting it up for the first time I managed to brush my hand against the DL103R and snap the entire stylus off!!

The speed control works beautifully and is housed below the motor on the slate motor/speed control housing. The platter get up to full speed within a few seconds, then reduces its voltage output for a smooth ride.

I need to get a hurry on with the HPS 5.1, then maybe some horn speakers:)

Attachments

• P1010033.JPG
    P1010033.JPG
    821.5 KB · Views: 599
  • P1010034.jpg
    P1010034.jpg
    571.9 KB · Views: 523
  • P1010036.jpg
    P1010036.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Wow beautiful :eek:......... truly !!!

Question ? Why an acrylic platter , what are the advantages ?

Because acrylic,has a similar sound character to the vinyl,compared to various metals used for platters.That means, that the mechanical energy generated by the stylus pressure in the grooves of a disc, is absorbed by the platter,and doesn't reflect back to the disc and the stylus. Other materials like rubber,felt,glass,cork,etc,have differing acoustic impedances to the vinyl,and are frequency selective.As you know everything has its own resonance.Acrylic seems to be more linear than the others for that use.
You can easily hear it by substituting platter mats,on a record player.
However,which is best,is in the ear of the beholder.

B.L

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is a vinyl disc mat, which is actually a record with no grooves and a suppressed label area so the LP snuggles better when wresting on it. A mate has it, argues it was his best. Even tried drummer's 12 inch practice silencers. In my case a classic carbon anti static mat proved nicely non detectable. Our platters are dense organic but not acrylic.

Great work!Enjoy your work of art!What you state about the resonance of turntable platters
regarding their materials is true if you stick to one material.
Everything changes when a sandwich of different materials is used as their different
resonance characteristics counteract leading to different (and usually better)
sonic results.The best mat i have seen was (is?) made by Verdier (France) that is
from thick rubber mixed in the melting process with lead powder...
Of course Verdier uses all metal platters...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.