Hps 5.1 - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2013, 12:28 PM   #171
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello folks,
Is it possible to post the BOM. A Digi-Key or Mouser packing list in .pdf would suffice for me.
Thx Rick
Old 8th May 2013, 10:20 AM   #172
diyAudio Member

Well I found the problem, one dry solder joint on a cap and a bad phono cable. It's back up and running. Just goes to show that the diodes actually do protect the ps! Man I'm really impressed, I'm spinning some old Bauhaus for a change and don't feel like moving off the couch. I still have to decide on the 6.8uf output caps, as I have some generic polypropylenes in place. What would the least uf that it could get away with?
Greg, what caps did you end up using? (Space is an issue)

Guys thanks for all of the help.

Cheers
Greg
Old 8th May 2013, 10:44 AM   #173
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavas View Post
Hello folks,
Is it possible to post the BOM. A Digi-Key or Mouser packing list in .pdf would suffice for me.
Thx Rick
I will sort something out for you
Old 8th May 2013, 11:13 AM   #174
3GGG is offline 3GGG  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPlay View Post
Well I found the problem, one dry solder joint on a cap and a bad phono cable. It's back up and running. Just goes to show that the diodes actually do protect the ps! Man I'm really impressed, I'm spinning some old Bauhaus for a change and don't feel like moving off the couch. I still have to decide on the 6.8uf output caps, as I have some generic polypropylenes in place. What would the least uf that it could get away with?
Greg, what caps did you end up using? (Space is an issue)

Guys thanks for all of the help.

Cheers
Greg
Glad it is sorted mate. I used Auricaps Auricap Audio Capacitors, I am sure there are better options but your room will probably play a bigger influence
Old 8th May 2013, 12:40 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I will sort something out for you
Thx Greg, glad to hear that you solved the problem & are enjoying this fine design. What phono cartridge/TT are you using?
O/P couling cap depends on the input R(Z) of the following stage (usually around 50K) and how much low pass filtering is required. Are you using the rumble filter? I would say 3.3uF would probably be a minimum with a 50K load. -3db= 1/(2piRC) ~1Hz
Rick

Last edited by rsavas; 8th May 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 15th May 2013, 09:54 AM   #176
diyAudio Member

Hi Rick,
Apologies, the family came down with the flu!

Back on track, I will forward the BOM this weekend as it needs to be cleaned up.
Im using a stacked platter lenco with Grado sonata ref with a ruby cantilever etc from expert stylus.

cheers
Greg
Old 15th May 2013, 01:20 PM   #177
diyAudio Member

Hi Greg,

Thx for getting back to me, no rush for the BOM, hope you & the family are feeling better.
Rick
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:02 AM   #178
diyAudio Member

I am coming to the end of the HPS 5.1 build and now testing the phono amp. I have a couple of questions Ė

Regarding the input JFETís, the designer quotes ďThe JFETs Vds is kept to around 3V, so that they don't heat up (affecting the noise) and also no hot carriers injection occursĒ.

I have a Vds of 3.34V as a result of the reference from the 2 GLEDís being 3.96V. I am using an Agilent Green LED (part no HSMG-C265). I could replace these for an orange type from the same manufacture, this would give around 3.7V ref or I could reduce the current through the LEDs.

The questions I have are-

1.Should I be concerned that the VREF is slightly higher? I calculate the power dissipation to be 36mW at present for each JFET, reducing the reference would give approximately 30mW

2. Does reducing the current through the LEDís increase their resistance and hence noise? (I donít feel this is a sensible route as the value of the I limiting resistor will need to be increase significantly).

Regards,
Old 22nd May 2013, 07:47 PM   #179
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Karl,

while I'm not Ovidiu, I would say no on both accounts. No need to worry - Enjoy! Hannes

Hide this!Advertise here!