Any Shure VN5 retipping services that don't replace the cantilever? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2010, 09:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any Shure VN5 retipping services that don't replace the cantilever?

Hi -

I have a couple used styli for my Shure Type 5 (not 'x') cartridge, a VN5G and a VN5MR that I would like to have retipped. In the case of the VN5G, at least, the original beryllium cantilever shows no imperfections under a microscope so I would much rather retain it if possible than have it replaced. (I couldn't readily locate the VN5MR just now so don't know if its cantilever is in such good shape).

Are there any stylus retipping services that can do just that without changing the cantilever, even if their replacement is ruby? I don't believe any other material comes very close performance wise to the beryllium tube that Shure uses for its cantilever so would be willing to go to some lengths to retain it.

I really wish now that I'd stocked up a few years back on replacement styli for my Shure cartridge before Shure discontinued them, but I wasn't paying attention right then. I was able to acquire a couple of new VN5Ps, one of which I am using at the moment, but I want to get a couple more 'backups' JIC.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 17th May 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The issue will be the rubber suspension and damping, which have almost certainly deteriorated.
Old 18th May 2010, 08:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, Sy -

I actually spoke with the proprieter of Soundsmith about retipping this stylus - I didn't get the feeling that he felt that the suspension would be a problem with this cartridge, although we didn't discuss it specifically. He seemed reluctant to merely change the stylus without also replacing the cantilever because he said the beryllium tube cantilever crushes easily.

Btw, I found the second worn stylus last night and put it under the microscope - the cantilever looks good on it also, but the whole area around the stylus is quite dirty. Been using Shure cartridges for over 30 years now and never busted a stylus
Old 18th May 2010, 09:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
The issue will be the rubber suspension and damping, which have almost certainly deteriorated.
The shure model that has/had the most frequent problems with drying suspension rubbers is the type IV,even NOS.It seems like Type III and V had different rubbers that did not dry over time.The type III rubbers however,become too soft sometimes.
Old 19th May 2010, 05:39 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Soundsmith does great work, I'd send it to them and let them do whatever they recommend. I seriously doubt you'll regret it.
Old 23rd May 2010, 09:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If for any reason you decide not to re tip on the beryllium cantilever,you may check JICO/SAS new replacement for type V,with boron cantilever and SAS tip.SAS is a Line contact tip,close to microridge shape.

Hide this!Advertise here!