Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Rusting cartridge
Rusting cartridge
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Sunsun22 is offline Sunsun22  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member
 
Sunsun22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hong Kong
Default Rusting cartridge

I have been using this cartridge for 2 years. Recently, I brought a new one and want to sell this old one. Luckily (or unluckily) I made an examination before putting it on the post and found it is rusting. After checking with the manufacturer, they said rusting on cartridge is oftenly seen from damped area BUT it does not hurt the performance of the cartridge. He further commented some cartridges would have a wooden (or whatever material) outter cover but when opened, they rust too.

The rusting cartridge sings in my system but it looks bad. Does anyone have this same experience? I read some threads in this forum to deal with rusts but all of them are concerning rusting chassis. Is there any way(s) to clean the rust on a cartridge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rusting bottom.JPG (104.7 KB, 136 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 05:30 PM   #2
richie00boy is offline richie00boy  United Kingdom
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member
 
richie00boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Rusting cartridge
I think any method of removing the rust will also damage the (rubber?) suspension parts, so best leave alone.
__________________
www.readresearch.co.uk my website for UK diy audio people - designs, PCBs, modules and more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 07:39 PM   #3
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Athens,Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsun22 View Post
I have been using this cartridge for 2 years. Recently, I brought a new one and want to sell this old one. Luckily (or unluckily) I made an examination before putting it on the post and found it is rusting. After checking with the manufacturer, they said rusting on cartridge is oftenly seen from damped area BUT it does not hurt the performance of the cartridge. He further commented some cartridges would have a wooden (or whatever material) outter cover but when opened, they rust too.

The rusting cartridge sings in my system but it looks bad. Does anyone have this same experience? I read some threads in this forum to deal with rusts but all of them are concerning rusting chassis. Is there any way(s) to clean the rust on a cartridge?

If it ain't broke... there's no need to worry.

By the way, let us know the name ,model,and the manufacturer of the cartridge.

Wouldn't it be nice ?

B.L.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Panicos K is offline Panicos K  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Panicos K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsun22 View Post
I have been using this cartridge for 2 years. Recently, I brought a new one and want to sell this old one. Luckily (or unluckily) I made an examination before putting it on the post and found it is rusting. After checking with the manufacturer, they said rusting on cartridge is oftenly seen from damped area BUT it does not hurt the performance of the cartridge. He further commented some cartridges would have a wooden (or whatever material) outter cover but when opened, they rust too.

The rusting cartridge sings in my system but it looks bad. Does anyone have this same experience? I read some threads in this forum to deal with rusts but all of them are concerning rusting chassis. Is there any way(s) to clean the rust on a cartridge?
Some cartridge manufacturers plate the metal parts to prevent rust.It won't be easy to clean it yourself.Better ask manufacturer if he can do it and at what cost.Looks like a vdh grasshopper?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 03:07 AM   #5
Sunsun22 is offline Sunsun22  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member
 
Sunsun22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hong Kong
It is a VDH Canary. It is rusting but it really sings. I purchased a new Colibri therefore dismounted it from my tonearm and discovered it is rusting.

I sent pictures to VDH but he is away and can only reply next week.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 02:44 PM   #6
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Athens,Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsun22 View Post
It is a VDH Canary. It is rusting but it really sings. I purchased a new Colibri therefore dismounted it from my tonearm and discovered it is rusting.

I sent pictures to VDH but he is away and can only reply next week.

It's funny.

I have a four set of gold plated VDH rca phono plugs,that are discoloured ,to say at least, the central pin and the earth cylinder.


B.L.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Sunsun22 is offline Sunsun22  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member
 
Sunsun22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlamp View Post
It's funny.

I have a four set of gold plated VDH rca phono plugs,that are discoloured ,to say at least, the central pin and the earth cylinder.


B.L.
I have some really old VDH interconnects 7 years from today but they are still in very good shape. No de-coloring at all. Where did you buy those RCA plugs?
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 08:17 PM   #8
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Athens,Greece
From the official vdh distributor here in Greece.Mine are older than seven years in use.
But problemloss lifespan was less than that,
Does gold tarnish,even the plated kind ?
I think,make that I am positvely sure, that as most of the "ssssoopposed"(four esses and double "o") high end manufacturers or distributors are selling seaweed as silk ribbons,its another brand name of this kind.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 08:47 PM   #9
Panicos K is offline Panicos K  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Panicos K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlamp View Post
From the official vdh distributor here in Greece.Mine are older than seven years in use.
But problemloss lifespan was less than that,
Does gold tarnish,even the plated kind ?
I think,make that I am positvely sure, that as most of the "ssssoopposed"(four esses and double "o") high end manufacturers or distributors are selling seaweed as silk ribbons,its another brand name of this kind.
Many "manufacturers" are not actually manufacturers but are buying some/many or all of their items from original manufacturers with their names printed on.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Rusting cartridgeHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Cartridge? algoart Analogue Source 10 3rd October 2009 09:51 PM
Connoisseur cartridge petronius Analogue Source 3 25th January 2008 09:26 PM
a new cartridge.... marcanto Analogue Source 2 29th September 2005 07:24 AM
the right stylus/cartridge solonbro Analogue Source 38 2nd April 2005 09:24 PM
Cartridge Identification...? mcelaj Analogue Source 1 13th June 2004 12:44 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki