Rusting cartridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been using this cartridge for 2 years. Recently, I brought a new one and want to sell this old one. Luckily (or unluckily) I made an examination before putting it on the post and found it is rusting. After checking with the manufacturer, they said rusting on cartridge is oftenly seen from damped area BUT it does not hurt the performance of the cartridge. He further commented some cartridges would have a wooden (or whatever material) outter cover but when opened, they rust too.

The rusting cartridge sings in my system but it looks bad. Does anyone have this same experience? I read some threads in this forum to deal with rusts but all of them are concerning rusting chassis. Is there any way(s) to clean the rust on a cartridge?

Attachments

• Rusting bottom.JPG
    Rusting bottom.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 154
I have been using this cartridge for 2 years. Recently, I brought a new one and want to sell this old one. Luckily (or unluckily) I made an examination before putting it on the post and found it is rusting. After checking with the manufacturer, they said rusting on cartridge is oftenly seen from damped area BUT it does not hurt the performance of the cartridge. He further commented some cartridges would have a wooden (or whatever material) outter cover but when opened, they rust too.

The rusting cartridge sings in my system but it looks bad. Does anyone have this same experience? I read some threads in this forum to deal with rusts but all of them are concerning rusting chassis. Is there any way(s) to clean the rust on a cartridge?

If it ain't broke... there's no need to worry.

By the way, let us know the name ,model,and the manufacturer of the cartridge.

Wouldn't it be nice ?

B.L.

Some cartridge manufacturers plate the metal parts to prevent rust.It won't be easy to clean it yourself.Better ask manufacturer if he can do it and at what cost.Looks like a vdh grasshopper?

It is a VDH Canary. It is rusting but it really sings. I purchased a new Colibri therefore dismounted it from my tonearm and discovered it is rusting.

I sent pictures to VDH but he is away and can only reply next week.

It's funny.

I have a four set of gold plated VDH rca phono plugs,that are discoloured ,to say at least, the central pin and the earth cylinder.

B.L.

From the official vdh distributor here in Greece.Mine are older than seven years in use.
But problemloss lifespan was less than that,
Does gold tarnish,even the plated kind ?
I think,make that I am positvely sure, that as most of the "ssssoopposed"(four esses and double "o") high end manufacturers or distributors are selling seaweed as silk ribbons,its another brand name of this kind.

From the official vdh distributor here in Greece.Mine are older than seven years in use.
But problemloss lifespan was less than that,
Does gold tarnish,even the plated kind ?
I think,make that I am positvely sure, that as most of the "ssssoopposed"(four esses and double "o") high end manufacturers or distributors are selling seaweed as silk ribbons,its another brand name of this kind.

Many "manufacturers" are not actually manufacturers but are buying some/many or all of their items from original manufacturers with their names printed on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.