beginner turntable advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

im relatively new to the DIY thing and new to this forum, but am thinking of building a turntable.
im looking for advice!
i intend to buy things such as the tone arm and bearing (if this is possible), and really just make the plinth and chasis.

i recently built a k-12 tube amp kit and chasis, and built an electric guitar a few years ago so i do have some experience.

any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Paul

paulpod...a good beginner project may be...

.. a re-plinth of an existing table.

Many direct drives are greatly improved with a better plinth, as a re many belt drives. It all depends on your budget I guess, and where you live. In Europe it seems there are lots of turntables, in North America, still quite a few, but you have to be on the look out for something...maybe an unknown table...

Check thrift stores, etc. Even finds can still be found on eBay, just be cautious and use an online escrow service. It's cheap insurance.

Anything from Dual, or Thorens are good bets, as well as a few others. try not to buy someone else's project though. You need a complete turntable.
Once you gain some confidence, then start looking for suitable parts...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.