Hps 5.0 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2010, 01:54 AM   #1
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Default Hps 5.0

Is completed. 0.3nV/rtHz noise, under 50ppm distortions, the same +/-0.1dB RIAA.

An extremely simple signal chain (uses feedback, though) with active RIAA correction, thanks to a noise cancelling power supply buffer, using a Sziklay configuration for the series device "regulators".

Uses only BF862 devices, no caps in the signal path (except the big red polyprop output caps), selectable gain (48dB MM, 60dB MC). and the same switchable input impedance network.

The same performance as HPS 3.1, HPS 4.1 and HPS 4.2 at 50% complexity, price, size.

Fully SMD construction, thin film NiCr resistors, only C0G ceramics in the signal path.

Attached, the full construction and the new headamp and noise cancelling power supply buffer details.

Currently doing the precise measurements. Soon to be available (schematics, Gerbers, measurements) on my web site.

BTW, I have posted on my web site the HPS 4.2 (new bipolar version with shunt local power supply regulators).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPS50F.JPG (189.5 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg HEADAMPF.JPG (145.1 KB, 329 views)
Old 30th April 2010, 10:07 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My eyes hurt just THINKING about putting that many eentsy SMDs on a board.

Looking forward to seeing the schematics.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:21 AM   #3
cjcc67 is offline cjcc67  Australia
diyAudio Member

Please don't tell me that is hand soldered
Old 30th April 2010, 11:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Looks very nice. Simplification is a good thing i think when you do not loose performance.
Old 30th April 2010, 12:17 PM   #5

Default Schematics

100% hand soldered. It's actually my first large SMD project and it went smoother than I was expecting. Work and rework is a breeze, in particular if a fine point soldering iron and very fine, no flux residue, solder is used. My eyes can't handle anything under 1206, though.

Attached the simplified (without gain switching) x40 head amp schematic (the active RIAA stages are identical in all HPS preamps) and the low noise power supply.

Regarding the Sziklay power buffer, the output noise is cut in half since Q401/Q404 noise contribution is cancelled by the negative feedback from transistor Q402/Q403. This is a major improvement over using a darlington. For noise reasons, using power MOSFETs are here excluded. The ZTX690/ZTX790 pair is low noise (Rbb~10ohm). Reference: http://pstca.com/spice/ripple/ripple.htm#cancl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPS50-HEADAMP.jpg (117.1 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg HPS50-PS.jpg (91.6 KB, 295 views)
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Once again, a gorgeous beast!

I am surprised that the simple common source input stage outperforms its complex ancestors in versions 3 and 4 thd-wise.

Rüdiger
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onvinyl View Post
I am surprised that the simple common source input stage outperforms its complex ancestors in versions 3 and 4 thd-wise.
While the noise and distortion performance are about the same (or slightly better, due to the excellent transconductance, noise and Ciss of the BF862 devices), HPS5.0 doesn't have the superb common mode rejection of the symmetrical HPS3.x and HPS4.x. Hence, HPS 5.0 requires more careful shielding, in particular against the 60Hz (and harmonics) hum. But OTOH it uses only stock components, in current production, it's smaller and cheaper to build.
Old 2nd May 2010, 01:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
or slightly better, due to the excellent transconductance, noise and Ciss of the BF862 devices)
Ciss is almost an order of magnitude better than my then favorite 2sk369 (10pf vs. 75pf) so it's an excellent choice!

Rüdiger
Old 2nd May 2010, 02:08 PM   #9
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Ovidiu,

again a nice surprise from you! Thanks a lot, just when I was already thinking about a monster phono stage And SMD is fun anyway. Maybe the time has come for me to try an opamp monster.

All the best, Hannes

PS: just curious - what are the dimensions of the board?

Quote:
My eyes can't handle anything under 1206, though.
Working with 0805 here...

Last edited by h_a; 2nd May 2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 2nd May 2010, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_a View Post
just curious - what are the dimensions of the board?
7.5 x 20 cm. HPS 3.1 is 10 x 23 cm and HPS 4.1 is 10 x 26 cm.

Hide this!Advertise here!