Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2013, 10:51 PM   #451
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the encouragement, audiostar (love that name)!
Old 24th April 2013, 12:28 AM   #452
diyAudio Member

awolff761, I wish you luck in your endeavor. I believe you have to create a demand for your tonearm. If your tonearm can compete or out compete others
than you got a winner. First thing when you complete your tonearm have it reviewed by somebody competent and submit review to diyAudio, Audiocircle,
Audio Asylum, Audiogon, Lenco Heaven, Vinyl Engine, Audiokarma and others.
Something to think about. PS. What about making a conventional tonearm?
Old 24th April 2013, 02:05 AM   #453
diyAudio Member

Hi audiostar,
By "conventional" I assume you mean what I call a PFT (Pivoting Fixed-offset Tonearm).
I have written a 35-page plus booklet about tonearms, their history, patents taken out since the beginning (1896), journal references and popular articles, etc. I came to the conclusion that none of them did what my final design does.
The idea of picking one or another as a product and hyping it as unique or cheaper, etc. was not my focus. What was in my mind was to recognize that no pickup maker could properly evaluate his product if it was not held in the proper orientation and contributed nothing negative in use over the whole disc surface.
Early on, I communicated with AR and Dynavector and found some interest, but the former was just discontinuing their turntable and the latter decided to stay with their proprietary design. AR took some time with their decision and sent me a free turntable as a "consolation prize:" a very classy company.

One can't please everyone, so I have continued to finish the latest version in the hope that there are enough buyers for a better arm. As my previous posts indicate, nothing is perfect. For example, in deciding against SLTs and PFTs, I came to the place all designers do, i.e. wishing there was no skating force. Designs that move the arm as a whole have problems (see previous post) but even the AHT can't compensate perfectly despite its predictable and simple path (which a PFT does not have). Making it adjustable solves some of the problems, but not all.

The compact disc is a superior recording medium and has spot-on timing, but its playback is another story that I'll tell at some point (it involves convolution integrals and interpolating d-to-a converters, for starters).
The big reason, though, is that the billions of vinyl discs out there represent a treasury of music played by either contemporaneous performers or those who were at least immersed in the genres. These cannot be properly archived with current playback components. I have a Brahms Concerto #1 on the original London disc and the CD "reissue." Anytime someone thinks these reissues capture the whole of the original, I play these for him.
I apologize for being prolix, but a simple answer like "I didn't want to make yet another conventional arm" just doesn't work for me. Again, thanks for your kind words and encouragement.
Old 25th April 2013, 01:44 AM   #454
diyAudio Member

Hi awolff761,
Multi task: the ability to chew gum and run at the same time and come in first.
Plan A: make awolff761 unconventional tonearm a reality and for sale.
Plan B: make awolff761 conventional tonearms for sale. You are smart and you
discover that you can make good or make that very good tonearms.
Wow, a 35 page + essay about tonearms! Please tell me that you
still have this. We the members of diyAudio would like to read your 35 pages + essay on tonearms.
Old 25th April 2013, 01:52 AM   #455
diyAudio Member

What is the status of Conrad Hoffman's tonearm?
Old 25th April 2013, 03:10 AM   #456
diyAudio Member

Hi, audiostar
The 35-pager may eventually be available, but the sweat equity is quite large, i.e. $$$$ and some will be used in a white paper (or several) and some will be in the owner's manual.
Thanks for showing me the arms offered by Pete and James. In contrast, mine looks, uh, less good. So far.
As I wrote to Direct Driver, I am still looking for a reasonably-priced machine shop. My arm works just fine using aluminum, epoxy-glass and ABS (all of which I can handle, sort of), but the bar is now quite high in the aesthetics department. Not my strong suit.
I know that members of this thread (and some of the others that you mentioned) can do machining, but I have no idea how to get in touch, etc. I may have to come out with a Mark I version and follow up with a Mark II that is more elegant.

Last edited by awolff761; 25th April 2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 26th April 2013, 01:36 AM   #457
diyAudio Member

Hi awolff761,
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Where have you been the last 7 Years? You need your own thread to talk about your tonearm.
Start a thread on diyAudio. You need exposure, an important thing for a would be capitalist. You need to post, post, and post. You need to post on the audio
forums I have mentioned. That will establish your credibility. You can comment
on all things Hi Fi. Talk to your engineering friends about helping you to develop
your tonearm. Network, believe, prayers and the universe will make it happen
for you. When you get the help you need you will be on your way. diyAudio is
about making your dreams come true.
Old 26th April 2013, 03:08 AM   #458
dtut is offline dtut  United States
diyAudio Member

awof761,

If there is a college/community college in your area, you might check to see if they offer design courses - architecture, industrial, art. Students in those fields need projects and if you could find a student who was simpatico with your idea, you might get anything from CAD renderings to a working model.

I tinker with tonearm design and if it weren't for ABS, aluminum tubing, and blue masking tape, nothing would get built.

Best of luck with your project.
Old 27th April 2013, 01:41 PM   #459
diyAudio Member

Hi, Doug
I like your suggestions. And thanks for the support!
Old 29th April 2013, 08:52 PM   #460
diyAudio Member

awolff761, When will we see your white paper on tonearms? Keep it a secret for now? I think 2014 will be a good time to present it.

Hide this!Advertise here!