diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analogue Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/)
-   -   cartridge for RB251? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/165862-cartridge-rb251.html)

jan.didden 27th April 2010 11:21 AM

cartridge for RB251?

Well, I caved in. After several people urged me to get back into LP replay ('it's a male thing, you know'), I bought a used TecnoDec with an RB251 arm.
Next is to get a cartridge, simple, entry level, so I can get used to this type of music enjoyment again ;)

I was thinking to start with a DL103, but then read that the '103 'likes a heavier arm'. No idea whether the RB251 is a heavy or light arm, no info I can find on the 'net.

Is the DL103 a good match for the RB251? Is the RB251 a heavy arm, good for mating with low compliance cartridges?

What do you think?

jd

exurbia 27th April 2010 11:45 AM

Hi Jan,
What about one of the Rega carts ? I have an Elys 2 nib with the 3 point mounting for the rega arm. I have a brand new 103 as well but you would need a much heavier arm than a Rega. I run a 103 in an old ATP12 and it sounds superb. I am selling off a lot of my analogue gear before I move.

jan.didden 27th April 2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exurbia (Post 2167591)
Hi Jan,
What about one of the Rega carts ? I have an Elys 2 nib with the 3 point mounting for the rega arm. I have a brand new 103 as well but you would need a much heavier arm than a Rega. I run a 103 in an old ATP12 and it sounds superb. I am selling off a lot of my analogue gear before I move.

The Elys is a MM isn't it?
Anyway, you confirmed that tha RB251 and the DL103 are not a good match, correct?

jd

exurbia 27th April 2010 02:59 PM

yes, the Elys is an MM. The 103 doesn't work in any af the Rega arms, not even with an added weight. I have a modded RB300 and it won't stay in the groove even with 10 Grammes added under the cart mount.
Cheers,
Peter.

Joachim Gerhard 27th April 2010 03:16 PM

Yes, weight could be a problem. I know that Lyras and Benz works very well in the Rega arm.
I usually do not trust cartridges that are MM though. I never found one that has the energy and openness of MC.
Maybe you find a used Ortophon MC that is in good shape.
They usually have a neutral balance.

jan.didden 27th April 2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exurbia (Post 2167751)
yes, the Elys is an MM. The 103 doesn't work in any af the Rega arms, not even with an added weight. I have a modded RB300 and it won't stay in the groove even with 10 Grammes added under the cart mount.
Cheers,
Peter.

It's not a matter of balancing the weight, it's a matter of tonearm mass, right?

jd

jan.didden 27th April 2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard (Post 2167766)
Yes, weight could be a problem. I know that Lyras and Benz works very well in the Rega arm.
I usually do not trust cartridges that are MM though. I never found one that has the energy and openness of MC.
Maybe you find a used Ortophon MC that is in good shape.
They usually have a neutral balance.

Well I was impressed by your Lyra but it's bit above my budget. Maybe I'll find a good used one. There's a lot of trade in used Benz cartridges I noted.

jd

d to the g 27th April 2010 04:32 PM

The Lyra Dorian, Mayware MC 2V, and the Kontrapunkt A are all decent MC matches.

Joachim Gerhard 27th April 2010 04:55 PM

Yes, something like that. Sorry, Jan, i did not think much when i recommended the DL103 for your Rega.

jan.didden 27th April 2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard (Post 2167913)
Yes, something like that. Sorry, Jan, i did not think much when i recommended the DL103 for your Rega.

No problem Joachim. I save you, you save me :D

jd