Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2010, 06:44 AM   #1
ervinl is offline ervinl  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default DIY AM/FM tuner tweak, is that possible?

Hi,

I am just curious is it possible to DIY AM/FM tuner and do some tweaking to get audiophile sound (means good sound and sensitivity), like in pre/power amplifier, e.g. change capacitor, resistor etc.

I do not think it is possible with active components, as usually it uses some chips for digital and analog one. Or is there still possibility (is there upgradeable ICs)?

Thanks,

Ervin L
Old 26th April 2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Depends on the equipment... does it use opamps in the output... old stuff may use 4558's etc. If it's years old may be worth replacing electroylitics, but ultimately the medium itself is a limiting factor.

You won't improve sensitivity, and I would stay clear of trying to alter anything in the RF/IF stages with the exception of electroylitics. Any parts in those stages that are bent over, misaligned physically etc... leave as they are as it will all have been aligned with them like that.
Old 27th April 2010, 07:29 AM   #3
ervinl is offline ervinl  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

I mean to tweak/upgrade new, FM/AM tuner kit found in the market. usually it just uses 1 IC or 2 from RF in up to stereo decoder. Only passive R and C outside the chip.

In audio, it is common to upgrade R and C to get better sound, but what about in RF?

I do not find yet information about this tweaking.
Old 27th April 2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervinl View Post
I mean to tweak/upgrade new, FM/AM tuner kit found in the market. usually it just uses 1 IC or 2 from RF in up to stereo decoder. Only passive R and C outside the chip.

In audio, it is common to upgrade R and C to get better sound, but what about in RF?

I do not find yet information about this tweaking.
Hi ervinl,
You might be better starting a new thread to ask that, as this one is about a specific problem on a Sony.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's advisable to go changing R's and C's in the RF stages of anything... you just run the risk of making things worse. The alignment will all have been done with exactly the parts that are fitted and taking into account the characteristics of those parts.
The only possible exception to that is any electroylitics that are years old and that may have dried out such as supply decoupling etc.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:29 PM   #5
bocka is offline bocka  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervinl View Post

In RF it's commonly known that you should avoid swapping components although they have the same values. If you don't have the measurement equipment you'll probably make things worse. You don't find any information about it as it's not diy.

Hide this!Advertise here!