Need tone arm help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old Grace 707 arm that needs a little help. The old cable
plug in failed and I hardwired the cables but due to an accident on my part the wiring from the headshell all the way back needs to be replaced. This is one thing I would rather pay to have done
if it doesn't cost am arm and a leg. I am hopeing someone on this forum likes to do this type of repair. Oh by the way I live near
Atlantia Ga. U.S.A.

Thanks

While I've never taken apart a 707, there is a part of me that says 'Why not try it yourself?' Vinyl Engine may have a downloadable manual that might help, but it would probably be pretty straightforward. Since the headshell is attached, you don't have the bother of removing the locking collet, which might be a heat press fit, or glued. Instead you probably have some sort of plug, and perhaps heavier duty leads with cartridge clips soldered to fine wires the rest of the way. If you attach a string or wire before you withdraw the old wiring harness, you can pull a new one in. I got cardas wire from Welbourne labs for my rega, but other people also sell tonearm wire at various price levels.

And if you screw it up, you are in exactly the same place you were before you tried -- needing a repair.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nat Eddy said:
Since the headshell is attached, you don't have the bother of removing the locking collet, which might be a heat press fit, or glued. Instead you probably have some sort of plug, and perhaps heavier duty leads with cartridge clips soldered to fine wires the rest of the way.

I have some experience with 707s (when i worked hifi we sold litererally in excess of a 1000 of these) never had to rewire one thou. I did have to do headshell transplants a number of times. Loosen the set screw and the headshell comes off fairly easily. The wires are soldered to traces on rhe headshell, and the connection leads are soldered to that -- might be a good opportunity to just drill a small hole in the headshell endplate and run the wire right thru to the clips... and to the RIAA amp built-into the plinth at the other end :)

The trickiest part is pasing the wire thru the bearing. RS 30 g wire wrap or magnet wire should be suitable budget cabling to use.

I have a donor arm downstairs if you find you need some parts (& they haven't been donated already).

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Sorry, chaps, but...

Solid core wire can't be used in pick-up arms, no matter how fine. It breaks. This is not a theoretical pronouncement. You need multicore. Litz is ideal. Wiring arms is a pig, and I do my best to avoid doing the job ever again (I build my own arms).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.