Help with creating feedback for homemade Tape Delay - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2010, 08:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Help with creating feedback for homemade Tape Delay

Today I made some good progress on a homemade tape delay I've been putting together from two cassette players. I have two heads, one recording and one playing, simultaneously on a small loop of tape. As things stand, whatever is input is output once, just a few moments later.

This simply isn't satisfying me. I'd like to know how I can monitor the original signal through the same out jack as the delayed signal. I'd also like to know if anyone can give me simple instructions on how to feed the output back to the line in at a reduced level so I can get more than one echo.

I'm not very knowledgeable about electronics, and have kind of surprised myself by getting even this far. Please help me make this project a success!
Old 21st April 2010, 12:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishticuffs View Post
Today I made some good progress on a homemade tape delay I've been putting together from two cassette players. I have two heads, one recording and one playing, simultaneously on a small loop of tape. As things stand, whatever is input is output once, just a few moments later.

This simply isn't satisfying me. I'd like to know how I can monitor the original signal through the same out jack as the delayed signal. I'd also like to know if anyone can give me simple instructions on how to feed the output back to the line in at a reduced level so I can get more than one echo.

I'm not very knowledgeable about electronics, and have kind of surprised myself by getting even this far. Please help me make this project a success!
Hi, Fishticuffs
It is a Frippertponic Read this: Frippertronics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophetmaster View Post
Hi, Fishticuffs
It is a Frippertponic
This helps me a bit, and Frippertronics is exactly the sort of thing I'm going after (maybe with a bit shorter delay somtimes), but after still a good deal of searching I can't find a way to route the output back into the line-in at a lower level, aside from using an external two-channel mixer or the like.

Anyone know what wires/resistors/whatever I would need to solder where to make this happen?
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishticuffs View Post
I can't find a way to route the output back into the line-in at a lower level, aside from using an external two-channel mixer or the like.

Anyone know what wires/resistors/whatever I would need to solder where to make this happen?
May be can use an phones regulated output, if is? Or I have not understood something

Last edited by Prophetmaster; 23rd April 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:30 PM   #5
pyrek is offline pyrek  Sweden
diyAudio Member

i used this mixer in a tape delay once:

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com...20page%201.gif
http://experimentalistsanonymous.com...20page%202.gif

Hide this!Advertise here!