Yaqin MS 12B phono amp- reviews - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2012, 11:57 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadran View Post
I just ordered new pot. as suppose this is the right type of Alps (and better) potentiometer to replace the original one in Yagin, dimensions not clear but hopefully shafts will fit the same board?

Click the image to open in full size.

If you ordered it from China, Hong Kong than its a fake. Better off with a cheap radio shack pot. I don't even think Alps make a blue one like that. Mine looks nothing like that and its all metal.
Old 12th November 2012, 01:36 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

I shouldn't worry about the 'Alps'...
...the unit in the photo looks 100% genuine to me.

I have one...
...I was just unfortunate enough to pay top price from UK Farnell.
The Chinese know how to do buisness...and at the right prices.

I now buy most of my components from China...
...and am yet to come across a 'fake' anything yet.

Most of the UK suppliers get all their stuff from China anyhow...
...so I end up with EXACTLY the same stuff at 25% of the price.

Wish I'd discovered international ordering sooner.

Cheers

Si.
Old 12th November 2012, 03:08 PM   #83
Jadran is offline Jadran  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migkiller1971 View Post
If you ordered it from China, Hong Kong than its a fake. Better off with a cheap radio shack pot. I don't even think Alps make a blue one like that. Mine looks nothing like that and its all metal.
Yea I did, and I don't regret, it's fine pot with a reasonable price. I wouldn't call it "fake" but rather a copy RK27 Series - Products Line
However, I asked for advice (and pics) six months ago and now it's a bit late

Anyway, I also found a full metal (jacket) in USA (original NOS) Alps that even the seller didn't know what year exactly or is it working (tricky business) but that's for my next mod-project.

Old 12th November 2012, 06:33 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yea I did, and I don't regret, it's fine pot with a reasonable price. I wouldn't call it "fake" but rather a copy RK27 Series - Products Line
However, I asked for advice (and pics) six months ago and now it's a bit late

Anyway, I also found a full metal (jacket) in USA (original NOS) Alps that even the seller didn't know what year exactly or is it working (tricky business) but that's for my next mod-project.

I ordered One pot for my yaqin from a Hong Kong ebayer, Supposingly ALPS? Dead within two months. Ordered another one from a Hong Kong ebayer for my current Aikido Preamp.. DEAD and huge pops when increasing or decreasing the volume. Luck of the draw. I'm done with anything from China. If it make sense to some people than its perfectly fine. Why waste money on high end Capacitors and resistors only to have go thru a (IMO) a crapola Chinese Pot? my Current Pot on my Aikido Preamp? a GoldPoint. As MC Hammer used to say....Can't touch this!!
Old 12th November 2012, 06:56 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

That's fine. More quality - more money.
Next time when I buy amp/preamp that costs a thousand or more €/$ (which I doubt) I could certainly consider this info Prices

In the meantime all "crapola" I got from Chinese sellers runs perfect for me. Especially 15$ volume pot!

Last edited by Jadran; 12th November 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:37 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's fine. More quality - more money.
Next time when I buy amp/preamp that costs a thousand or more /$ (which I doubt) I could certainly consider this info Prices

In the meantime all "crapola" I got from Chinese sellers runs perfect for me. Especially 15$ volume pot!
Well, You get what you paid for. Since the Yaqin is chinese and the Original pot in also Chinese. to my ears, There was no different between the original and Chinese Alps. I wouldn't be surprise if it all came from the same Factory. How many factories are producing Potentiometers in Hong kong? Anyways glad it worked out for you. Here on the bottom right is a 50 Dollars Blue "CRAPOLA" that was completely awful. I would have had more fun if I opened my car window and thru a 50 dollar bill out.

Old 13th November 2012, 12:18 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Looking again at the photo of the Alps Blue that was posted...
...EVERY single detail, from metal-work notches down to mould-sprue pips etc...
...is EXACTLY the same as pots I have bought consistently over the years from 'genuine' & EXTREMELY expensive UK suppliers.

If your pot looks in every detail, as the one in the photo, it is undoubtedly a 100% genuine Alps Blue.

I have had several of these in heavily used recording equipment for well over 10 years, and they are STILL behaving as if new.

Having said that, our main volume control at present is in fact a DIY made switched-stepped attenuator ( which cost a HUMUNGOUS amount of dough ).

And having said that...
...our even newer volume control ( for current project )...
...will be another DIY stepped-attenuator...
...based on a $10 Chinese switch...
...and a whole bunch of 0.25% precision wire-wound resistors...
...bought on eBay for about $15.

I don't think M C Hammer is even gonna get near enough to touch those.

It will be interesting to compare the 100% DIY, eBay & Chinese switch attenuator, with the previously built 'Audio Synthesis' kit PAS-02.

If I hear ANY difference, I will be surprised...
...However, we have a real sneaking feeling, that our new wire-wound DIY, eBay, Chinese switch version, might just pip the PAS-02, on the basis of the $15 worth of wire-wound resistors from eBay !
( will report back in a while when it's made )

Cheers

Si.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.
Often, you don't.
Lateral thinking, on the other hand, is FREE !

P.S. repeated soldering / desoldering & or iron-overheating, will destroy an Alps blue very easily.
Just a tip.

Last edited by The Space Egg Corp; 13th November 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 13th November 2012, 04:54 AM   #88
dady is offline dady  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to dady Send a message via Skype™ to dady
[QUOTE=dady;3239572]We got a preamp that looks Hi end but actually cost peanuts. If we compare the piece of pot with many of our pots in all our equipments is exactly the same or worst and we never thank in change it. Accord and based in the same line I think if we want to improve the whole circuit the better is keep out the pot from the circuit. Put DC in the whole heathers and Regulation to the main power supply. IMHO The other important change is putt the AC inside the Transformer Can with the diodes and electrolytic capacitors and the AC plug with the main switch inside the above mentioned can. Going inside the chassis exclusively with DC for High and Filamentary voltage. The PP caps are goods and don't need be replaced. I not measure the caps and resistors from the RIAA chain to be sure they are at the correct value that show, but in general the preamp is a fine bargain for eighty euros I paid for it.
Regards for everybody
Old 13th November 2012, 01:35 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Everyone has different experience with parts. Again, if it works fine for you than great. I will never buy any parts from china again. Or was that made in Japan? Does anyone know what the cost is to manufacture something in Japan? So let me get this straight. it gets manufactured in Japan, Sold to China and sold to the consumer for peanuts? That's like asking the English to Manufacture cars, let it Pass hands and than charge FIAT prices. LOL.

a Quote from an old ebayer:

"I use to sell ALPS 25K pots on eBay. What I noticed is the real ALPS pots have use a serif font. In the lower left corner is the pot size and taper code. In the lower right is the pot value and taper type. This is only helpful if the ebayer shows you the label on the back. Another thing, according to the ALPS website they never made an RK27 blue pot with a knurled shaft or "stepped feel". The part number on the pot will be 704t, 706t, etc. and the real thing never used an RH or RK part number on the device. Watch out for those fakes!!

Old 13th November 2012, 03:57 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dady View Post
We got a preamp that looks Hi end but actually cost peanuts. If we compare the piece of pot with many of our pots in all our equipments is exactly the same or worst and we never thank in change it. Accord and based in the same line I think if we want to improve the whole circuit the better is keep out the pot from the circuit. Put DC in the whole heathers and Regulation to the main power supply. IMHO The other important change is putt the AC inside the Transformer Can with the diodes and electrolytic capacitors and the AC plug with the main switch inside the above mentioned can. Going inside the chassis exclusively with DC for High and Filamentary voltage. The PP caps are goods and don't need be replaced. I not measure the caps and resistors from the RIAA chain to be sure they are at the correct value that show, but in general the preamp is a fine bargain for eighty euros I paid for it.
Regards for everybody
Back on topic!

That's an interesting idea.
Are you working on it? I wish to see this kind of mod on pictures.

Last edited by Jadran; 13th November 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!