Yaqin MS 12B phono amp- reviews - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2012, 03:35 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Oh sorry missed the 240 volt info won't work for me.
I think if you put up a full detailed list of mods,parts ect. A quite few people including me would be very happy to have a full mod plan to work with. It is hard to keep track with the mods all broken up into posts. Someone should think about selling a kit for this thing.
Old 15th May 2012, 04:53 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
Have I read that right? Why is the Yaqin for sale if it has " has given me more joy than the $1200 Cornet 2"?
Also, is the 4 pin connector from the tranny original, or did you fit it? And my unit is a 240v model so 20R is better for the 5814 (ECC82) heaters.
It gave me more joy because it was my first venture into the tube world. It opened my eyes as to the possibilities of tube sound. I learned about Capacitors, resistors. How a phono amp works. How to bypass a cap and why. For the price, its fantastic and unbeatable. Now, We can't compare a $200 phonostage to a $1200 phonostage. The pair of 47k resitors I have in the Cornet2 alone cost $40 bucks. The Yaqin is highly recommended!
Old 15th May 2012, 07:20 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migkiller1971 View Post
Now, We can't compare a $200 phonostage to a $1200 phonostage. The pair of 47k resitors I have in the Cornet2 alone cost $40 bucks. The Yaqin is highly recommended!
Why not? And are the resistors naked foil? If so, do you know about Texas Components?
Old 15th May 2012, 07:27 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
Why not? And are the resistors naked foil? If so, do you know about Texas Components?
Yes, they are Vishay VAR-Series "naked" Z201 Z-FOIL RESISTOR. aka. Texas Components TX2575 or Charcroft Electronics CAR Series.

Here is my video with the Yaqin in all it glory using it as a Phono/preamp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edq79Y9l8uY

and here is a video using the Cornet 2 / Aikido linestage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHf0BixBGkE

Last edited by migkiller1971; 15th May 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 15th May 2012, 08:01 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolli666 View Post
How much do you want for it?
Where are you located?
Old 15th May 2012, 08:44 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, they are Vishay VAR-Series "naked" Z201 Z-FOIL RESISTOR. aka. Texas Components TX2575 or Charcroft Electronics CAR Series.

Here is my video with the Yaqin in all it glory using it as a Phono/preamp

Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'échafaud - Générique - Rega P25 - YouTube

and here is a video using the Cornet 2 / Aikido linestage

Rega P25 Plays Soy Califa by Dexter Gordon - YouTube
Nice videos.
Old 19th May 2012, 05:40 PM   #67
Jadran is offline Jadran  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Join View Post
Hi!

I have owned the MS-12B pre a couple of years now. A friend with electronic skillz recommended it.

So, purchased it, and he helped me do the mods.

He told me to get JJ ECC82/ECC83(I think).

And he replaced the two caps that looked like this:

With a matched pair of this russian NOS paper-in-oil caps:

It really changed the sound from average to outstanding! It sounds very expencive, but is not.

About the pot, is it a dual 100kOhm? I got a blue alps like that and if it is a match it will go in there.
That's great. I suppose those two replaced were on phono line?
I'm planing to replace all of those blue caps (as someone recommended here before is "must") with the Russians K73-16B, also recommended as great caps.
I was thinking to buy Sonicaps, but these two only, cost more than ten K73
Old 19th May 2012, 06:18 PM   #68
Join is offline Join  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadran View Post
That's great. I suppose those two replaced were on phono line?
I'm planing to replace all of those blue caps (as someone recommended here before is "must") with the Russians K73-16B, also recommended as great caps.
I was thinking to buy Sonicaps, but these two only, cost more than ten K73
It is the only changes to it, and it's just great! The caps was purchased from ebay(russian guy) and was $13 incl shipping to Norway (batch of 6). They are on the big side and had to modify the bottom plate to make another 5-10mm more space inside.
Old 20th May 2012, 11:58 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is a absolutely fantastic Phono/preamp if you are starting to get into tubes. I can't recommend it enough. I've added a better Volume pot, I have 1 UF sonicap gen 1 bypassed with sonicaps gen 2 .01 UF caps. I've added bradley allen gridstoppers. I have caddock's 47K resistors. I've also added some bypass caps in the powersupply. For the price, its unbeatable. This preamp has given me more joy than the $1200 Cornet 2 I have. I have to double check everything and put up the Yaqin for sale. All its doing is collecting dust.
I appreciate much your input about mods on Yaqin, very interesting and informative.
If not the problem could you add some photo of the volume pot that you've added/replaced, or just write which one is it, Japan Alps but what type? Thanks!
Old 21st May 2012, 10:24 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

I just ordered new pot. as suppose this is the right type of Alps (and better) potentiometer to replace the original one in Yagin, dimensions not clear but hopefully shafts will fit the same board?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!