Yaqin MS 12B phono amp- reviews - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2010, 09:42 PM   #31
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I had whistling problems with my Yaqin and I found that using 5814 tubes in the second stage made a big difference. All the other tubes I tried there were very microphonic. A gentle tap on the tube with a fingernail could be heard coming strongly through the speakers. (Warning: Don't try this with the volume turned up high!)
Old 15th December 2010, 11:29 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners View Post
I had whistling problems with my Yaqin and I found that using 5814 tubes in the second stage made a big difference. All the other tubes I tried there were very microphonic. A gentle tap on the tube with a fingernail could be heard coming strongly through the speakers. (Warning: Don't try this with the volume turned up high!)
I put the Tele's smooth plates back in today, I got Mr Neil Young's Zuma right now...WOW... and I get no Whistling and its been 4 hours. So weird since these tubes were the one giving me all the trouble. I'm not completely sold on the tube sockets either. Here is a review for this Preamp.

AAAVT SM-12B phono pre-amplifier [English]

Note: Check out the second paragraph in "Sound Quality"

I have multiple Carbon Comp Resistors coming in this week. So I guess the problem might be in the 12ax7.
Old 16th December 2010, 08:15 AM   #33
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I wasn't happy with the 12AX7s, and I'm now happily using Soviet 6N1P tubes. Very cheap, reliable and sound good. But that involved a change in the heater wiring because of the 6.3 volt heaters.
Old 16th December 2010, 11:42 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi Migkiller ,

found an interessting link about grid-stoppers here on the DiyAudio-Forum ,
Purpose of series input resistor in Guitar Preamp on the Solid State thingie .
Hope that helps a little .

Greetings
Jürgen
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:53 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I want to thank everyone for helping me with this mod. I've been running my yaqin with the grid stoppers and no whistling so far. I will repot if it occurs again. Unfortunatley, I ran it for two days in musical bliss and my Denon poa 1500 gave out. man, it sounded sweet but right now I have a sony amp in there and its just not the same. I'm over in the solid state froum now. Thanks again and Happy Holidays! Oh and to Audiotux. My friend from Heidelberg sent me some gluwein.
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:09 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Hi Migkiller ,

you have the best wine in usa and need a gluehwein ?
All you need is a little bit of exotic spices thats all .
Merry Christmas , Migkiller , enjoy your live and good music !

Greeting from the Barock-Town Bruchsal

Jürgen
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:43 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotux View Post
Hi Migkiller ,

you have the best wine in usa and need a gluehwein ?
All you need is a little bit of exotic spices thats all .
Merry Christmas , Migkiller , enjoy your live and good music !

Greeting from the Barock-Town Bruchsal

Jürgen

The best wine? I used to get drunk off a Neuwein,,HAHA...We have cars here too but guess what? I used to work for a Printing company in Germany. Nothing like a heidelberger press! I miss going to Dusseldorf for Drupa and getting drunk. Those were the day.
Old 24th December 2010, 02:53 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners View Post
That gentle tap is how I knew I finally got it. I can give it a really "REALLY" good tap on the metal shields and I get no Feedback whatsoever thru the speakers. I had to go back and really cut the pcb trace to my back left 12au7 and check for continuity. On the Back right 12au7 was diffcult because in order to cut the PCB trace to pin 7, You have to desolder it down because the 510K resistor is right on the pin. I have no idea why they did it like that. I cut the pcb trace to pin 7 and be really careful soldering it back with the grid stopper. Its been running beautifully with no whistling ever since. Again I'll report back if I hear anything but I doubt it.. Happy Holidays!!!
Old 25th December 2010, 03:06 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Hi Migkiller ,

can you show your mod optically ?
Hope you feel much better than ....

Jürgen
Old 16th January 2011, 12:23 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Just a Little update. The Yaqin is quiet as can be and is playing beautifully.

Hide this!Advertise here!