Help for Thorens TD125 Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
More information likely to be available here: Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable - lots of good information available on your Thorens.

You might check eBay US as there tends to be a lot of TT parts available at auction or BIN. I have bought quite a few TD125 parts successful on eBay.

I assume you have Thorens TP-25 arm, if this is not the case you need to identify what you have before you can get even attempt to locate a replacement part.

Comprehensive manuals and service information for the TD125 are available on Vinylengine.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Keep a look out on eBay for parts for the TP14 or a damaged arm with a good arm lift, or a.... :p

The TP14 is not a bad arm, however there are many better from Grace, SME, Hadcock and others. I would look for an "upgrade" arm were it me and change the arm board at the same time. (Try to get one drilled for the arm you end up with.)

Or learn to cue manually - despite a perfectly functional arm lift that is generally what I do.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I generally buy almost all of this sort of stuff through eBay. Just have to search through the vintage electronics area on the US eBay site. Many of the sellers are international, so you may find what you are looking for close to home. Other possibilities include audiogone, but this may be a riskier proposition..

Arm board here (ships internationally):
Thorens TD-125 Walnut Armboard - eBay (item 230424571024 end time Apr-15-10 05:13:29 PDT)

Arms are catch as catch can, you just have to wait for something to come along that you want.

Note you should probably search the German, Italian, and English eBay auction sites as well.

Hej,
I know it might be a little late but only saw this post today!
1) Im rather sure (99%) this is a TD-125 mk I NOT mk II
2) mk I is with TP 25 tonearm (and TP 50 headshell)
3) TP 14 has never been (originally) installed on a TD-125 (only TD-124)
4) there is a guy in Germany (good if you speak German) who can probably help you. You can find him at info@thorens.org

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hej,
I know it might be a little late but only saw this post today!
1) Im rather sure (99%) this is a TD-125 mk I NOT mk II
2) mk I is with TP 25 tonearm (and TP 50 headshell)
3) TP 14 has never been (originally) installed on a TD-125 (only TD-124)
4) there is a guy in Germany (good if you speak German) who can probably help you. You can find him at info@thorens.org

Yeah, I suspect you are right that it is probably a Mark I which AFAIK were all built in Germany under license.

Given the number of years since the table was built and the number of hands its been through it is impossible to know in some cases what the table originally had on it. (Mine has had a succession of SME 3009s on it, latest was a 3009 Series II which somehow just today found its way onto an SME 20/2..)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have a problem like this. My THorens 125 MKII needs a new motor. If you know where I can find, tell me please. If you have one, contact me.
Tks.
ricardo_furriel@hotmail.com

Check on eBay U.S. , there was one available within the last week or so. I think it might even have been buy it now. They show up pretty regularly on eBay, just need to keep an eye on it.

Please note that the MKI and MKII motors are NOT interchangeable.

Also what is wrong with your motor? Worn out bearings, bent shaft? These motors are insanely long lived IMLE, and if you have not replaced all of the electrolytics on the drive electronics PCB you should do so first - particularly if your issue is noise, low torque, or running off speed. Also check all pots and then do the Thorens recommended electronic calibration procedure.

Manuals can be found at: www.vinylengine.com - you must join to get access to the library.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.