DIY Golf Club Unipivot Tonearm - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2010, 01:36 PM   #21
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default Aluminum instead of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Leach View Post
Intereting design!

I was thinking of using a broken driver shaft for the arm as well.

The problem is that I thought they would be too heavy for my 14.2" arm design...

Probably going to go with straight carbon tubing.

Nicely executed design!

An alternative is to buy an aluminum arrow from an athletics shop,one used for olympics arrow shooting. The cost is circa $ 8 to 10.It is perfectly balanced and more controllable than carbon fiber.

Do not forget that resonanse excitation in carbon fiber is enormous,due to the extremely high stiffness. If you have the means to measure it,and dump the resonanse of the tube,go to carbon.But as a DIY effort,aluminum tubes are much easier to work with,and in the end more predictable of some sort.

Happy trails
Old 17th June 2010, 08:24 AM   #22
cabsvrt is offline cabsvrt  United States
diyAudio Member

Had a first listen tonight and it sounds really great- smooth, clean tracking and throws an amazing image! Will audition some more this weekend.
Sonic Frontiers SFL1/Mod + Sonic Frontiers SFP1/Mod + John Atwood Dynaco MKIV Mono Amps + Atma-Sphere Novacron Amps + Martin Logan CLSIIz Speakers + Kinergetics Subs + VPI HW19 Mk4/ET2.5 Air Bearing Arm/Monster Cable Alpha Genesis 1000 + Resolution Audio CD-50 + Pioneer TX9100 Tuner + Kenwood KC6060A Scope
Old 17th June 2010, 02:41 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I think in this situation you are supposed to shout out "FOUR". Congrats, it's a good feeling.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:31 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlamp View Post
An alternative is to buy an aluminum arrow from an athletics shop,one used for olympics arrow shooting.
I thought about that actually, but the ring from aluminum is greater than the particular carbon tube I have. I actually have a BETTER carbon tube design (stiffer, lighter and will not ring); however the cost associated with that design will be ~$1,000.00 for the first tube due to tooling and engineering costs of the carbon shop... And then I may find out it is not as good as I think it will be...

Quote:
Do not forget that resonanse excitation in carbon fiber is enormous,due to the extremely high stiffness. If you have the means to measure it,and dump the resonanse of the tube,go to carbon.But as a DIY effort,aluminum tubes are much easier to work with,and in the end more predictable of some sort.
I am having good 'vibes' from the tube I have selected. It is a small diameter with a heavy wall. Very 'stiff' (but also rather compliant- bendable) but rather dead (for carbon) at the same time. I am also using the pivot hardware to both dampen the arm, and also to control the length of 'free arm' that might be prone to resonance, to tune the possible resonant frequency as best I can. It is difficult to say the least; however I think it will be a decent arm when it is said and done.

My main problem right now is finding a shop with a reasonable price to machine the parts. The geometries are quite complex (to make it the way I designed it) and therefore quite expensive. It's frustrating really...
Old 19th June 2010, 11:04 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I thought about that actually, but the ring from aluminum is greater than the particular carbon tube I have. I actually have a BETTER carbon tube design (stiffer, lighter and will not ring); however the cost associated with that design will be ~$1,000.00 for the first tube due to tooling and engineering costs of the carbon shop... And then I may find out it is not as good as I think it will be...

I am having good 'vibes' from the tube I have selected. It is a small diameter with a heavy wall. Very 'stiff' (but also rather compliant- bendable) but rather dead (for carbon) at the same time. I am also using the pivot hardware to both dampen the arm, and also to control the length of 'free arm' that might be prone to resonance, to tune the possible resonant frequency as best I can. It is difficult to say the least; however I think it will be a decent arm when it is said and done.

My main problem right now is finding a shop with a reasonable price to machine the parts. The geometries are quite complex (to make it the way I designed it) and therefore quite expensive. It's frustrating really...

If you do feel, that your chosen materials will have the expected outcome,go on for it.
But your motto,of making good use of what is still around speaks volumes,about the route that you have to take.
The cost of your project cannot be commented,because there are not expensive or cheap gear.Only people with lots or little money to spend.

However, by targeting on the tonearm side only,you may trigger other problems in the playback chain( turntable,cartridge) that will interact in strange ways with your dream tonearm.

B.L.
Old 19th June 2010, 10:00 PM   #26
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default cabsvrt, very nice. Congrats.

Quote:
Here are some photos of my unipivot tonearm made from a carbon fiber (boron graphite) golf club shaft. It's still in process, I don't have the clips (making those) and the Nextgen RCA jacks.
Making clips is as easy as using RadioShack sourced D-sub mini connectors from one of their crimp style connectors. They work quite well.

Regarding materials for use in any tonearm, their is good carbon fiber, and good aluminium. There is also a lot of junk out there too. If aluminium is used Easton "7505" tubing is excellent. It is my personal favourite. I avoid carbon fiber usually. It goes back to my cycling days when carbon-fiber bike frames would fail catastrophically. I know in tonearms this wouldn't be the case, but old dogs require a little time to learn new tricks.

What was used for the headshell mount? The complete headshell/cartridge mount looks very good, and well executed.
Attached Images
File Type: gif my tonearm tonearm.gif (60.2 KB, 424 views)

Last edited by Nanook; 19th June 2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added pict
Old 21st June 2010, 11:50 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But your motto,of making good use of what is still around speaks volumes...
B.L.
That's why I have a Planar 3 with a Michel weight and a Benz Silver as a backup...
Old 21st June 2010, 03:18 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I would second the arrow shaft recommendation. Another choice would be kite spars or various rc parts.

I tried a golf club shaft years ago and wasn't impressed. Arrow shafts have to made very accurately and come in a wide range of sizes and wall thicknesses. That's what Naim uses in their high-end unipivot.
Old 22nd June 2010, 04:37 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:

BTW ,how do you plan to control the lateral azimuth of your tonearm?
Looking at the first photos of the CF unipivot, with the cartridge mounted inwards, there isn't a means to tweak it.

B.L.

Last edited by wjlamp; 22nd June 2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Wrong quote
Old 21st February 2011, 08:32 PM   #30
cabsvrt is offline cabsvrt  United States
diyAudio Member

I often look like an idiot tapping different tube materials in the thrift stores, hobby shops and craft stores to listen for it's frequency signature. I'm the only fool hold a golf club next to his ear and tapping. I don't care.
Sonic Frontiers SFL1/Mod + Sonic Frontiers SFP1/Mod + John Atwood Dynaco MKIV Mono Amps + Atma-Sphere Novacron Amps + Martin Logan CLSIIz Speakers + Kinergetics Subs + VPI HW19 Mk4/ET2.5 Air Bearing Arm/Monster Cable Alpha Genesis 1000 + Resolution Audio CD-50 + Pioneer TX9100 Tuner + Kenwood KC6060A Scope

Hide this!Advertise here!