Custom made turntable plinth... - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2012, 03:47 PM   #31
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Djn
Very nice marble work!
Since granite/marble is very stable, your next project (should you decide to accept it Mr. phelps) would be an a platter and integrated base honed to float it on air.
I have made one out of aluminum and one out of marble would be even better.
Very original design there!
2 big thumbs up

Regards
David
Old 1st December 2012, 04:53 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

My Lenco plinth

Layers of Plywood,MDF,Glue,Lead shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02616.JPG (44.0 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02633.JPG (34.5 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02620.JPG (33.6 KB, 442 views)
Old 4th December 2012, 03:12 PM   #33
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Wow!

Avincenty,

Very nice traditional plinth. Did you do anything with the Lenco top plate? Further pictures available?
Old 4th December 2012, 03:27 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Really interesting thread. I am currently designing one out of layers of wenge
Old 5th December 2012, 12:27 AM   #35
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernauer View Post
djn! Please give some details about how you lengthened the Infinity Black Widow Tonarm. I just bought one with the specific idea to lengthen it. I didn't think anyone else had tried it. I have access to some very high quality carbon fiber kite spars and carbon fishing rod blanks that look very similar to yours. Would be very excited to hear from you how you did it. One of my main questions is whether the factory carbon arm is glued or somehow screwed into the aluminum pivot mount?

Thanks in advance :-) !!!
I used carbon fiber kite spars like you have. What was left of the original aluminum wand left of the stub had an OD the exact same size as the ID on the carbon tube so it is a tight fit with no glue are screw needed. I made the headshell out of an aluminum bolt that I put in the drill press and shaped with an angle grinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
Djn
Very nice marble work!
Since granite/marble is very stable, your next project (should you decide to accept it Mr. phelps) would be an a platter and integrated base honed to float it on air.
I have made one out of aluminum and one out of marble would be even better.
Very original design there!
2 big thumbs up

Regards
David
Thanks much David. floating a marble platter would be a sight to see. I'll have to think on that for a while.
Old 5th December 2012, 02:17 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Avincenty,

Very nice traditional plinth. Did you do anything with the Lenco top plate? Further pictures available?

I documented the build in the Lenco Heaven forum.
build link

Alfredo
Old 5th December 2012, 02:46 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default research

Hi all

Stumbled across this thread. Seems to have wandered a bit from the original post, but I thought I'd share a link to a page I found a while ago when I was considering tearing apart my HW-19 and building a new plinth that might mimic an Aries or HR-X.

plinths - Audio qualia

I haven't moved on it yet, and I can't say anything about the definitive nature of the data presented, but I thought it was interesting and have been hoping to apply it to a plinth for a VPI Super Platter and bearing that I managed to get my hands on a few years ago.

Kevin
Old 5th December 2012, 05:44 PM   #38
lausar is offline lausar  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by binspaul View Post
Hi,

I am planning to build a new plinth for my turntable. I would like to know the best medium for the plinth.

>> Wood.
>> MDF.
>> Granite.
>> Combination.

Please comment...

Best regards,
Bins.
I'm using Slate now but I'm going to try this cutting board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fisher 019.jpg (665.0 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg BigBlock.jpg (8.2 KB, 331 views)
Old 5th December 2012, 08:32 PM   #39
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default But why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lausar View Post
I'm using Slate now but I'm going to try this cutting board.
Isn't slate the Holy Frail for idlers? As I understand it ,the TD124 is a belt/idler hybrid. Regarding the use of a cutting board, I think that it looks like one that is very suitable for a plinth. I think it will look quite good. It's just the cost compared to using Baltic Birch ply (if easily available). I suppose if you can afford slate, then you can afford whatever you wish ; . At least there would be no issues finishing it as the melamine surface looks very good.

The use of cutting boards as plinths works because many are of suitable materials, and look good as purchased. They need no extra work to [put a finish on them either.The one pictured seems to be surfaced with melamine or similar. Be patient drilling into the melamine, use an awl or small pointed machinist's punch to start the centre of a drill hole and then a small bit. Once a small hole is established go to your final size. And support the backside of the cutting board to avoid any tear outs. The use of a drill press is pretty much a given, but if not put the cutting board on a piece of scrap.

Last edited by Nanook; 5th December 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10th December 2012, 01:44 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

chopping boards made of slatted bamboo are very good. I use one under my Lenco, and I'm working on a plinth that uses flooring strips, also made of slatted bamboo, with cork and a damping compound I've developed. I'll post pics and measurements when I have finalised the design.

Last edited by cats squirrel; 10th December 2012 at 01:47 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!