Tonearm Rewire Termination Suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2010, 06:20 PM   #1
don77 is offline don77  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Tonearm Rewire Termination Suggestions

Hi guys,

I've searched and googled re: the following but haven't found a satisfactory answer so here goes...

I have a Project Xpression III turntable with a 8.6c tonearm that I'm rewiring with Cardas 33g cable. I bought 5 ft lengths and now I'm debating whether to terminate to the female RCAs in the phono box or making a straight-through connection and terminating to male RCAs.

I really want to do the latter since it'll be the purest connection to my tube phono stage plus it'll save me some $ from having to buy extra RCA plugs. However, I'm stuck on how to "build up" the thin tonearm cable before soldering them to the RCAs. And also some ideas re: strain relief since I'll be feeding the cable through the phono box w/ female RCAs removed.

I have ample amount of 1/4" techflex and heatshrink but what other material do I need to bulk up the Cardas cable?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Don
Old 14th March 2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default straight wire...

to the phono stage is my suggestion. Just be careful not to stress the ends where you attach the male RCAs to (grab the RCA end and pull carefully to remove from you phono stage when/if you have to)

fewer solder joints, fewer RCA connectors...less is more in this case.
Old 14th March 2010, 08:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hey Stew and Don: what about using a length of small thin wall pvc tube to provide some protection to the tiny Cardas wire cable? That should do the job and be easy to install and not cost you much. The pvc tube could be easily clamped inside of the TT base prior to exciting. I have seen some nice limp clear pvc tubing that would dress nicely from the table to your phono stage. Regards Moray James.
Old 14th March 2010, 11:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray james View Post
Hey Stew and Don: what about using a length of small thin wall pvc tube to provide some protection to the tiny Cardas wire cable? That should do the job and be easy to install and not cost you much. The pvc tube could be easily clamped inside of the TT base prior to exciting. I have seen some nice limp clear pvc tubing that would dress nicely from the table to your phono stage. Regards Moray James.
If you have the shielded version:

I usually split the two pairs of 33awg wires and use 2-3 layers of heat shrink tubes.Then,I use another piece of shrink tube to sleeve the two "legs" with the cable insulation at the exit point of the "legs.These tubing gives the two legs enough thickness and strength for the Neutrik RCA's I normally use to grip and keep safely in place without moving in the RCA'S.That is a perfectly safe way to do it.If you need to use the shield as ground,connect a flying lead on it before sleeving it with the legs.
Old 15th March 2010, 10:02 PM   #5
don77 is offline don77  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ok I'm going for the "less is more" approach a la Stew's suggestion: tonearm wire from the cartridge clips to RCAs. Just makes more sense esp since I plan on keeping this deck for a while. However I will build up a stress relieved shield around them since I know at some point down the line the cables will get tugged.

I like the idea of having layering heat shrink around the wire. I do have some pvc tubing in my possession that I'll use. So I'm thinking a few layers of heat shrink, pvc tubing and finishing it off with Techflex -- what do you all think?

As for the RCAs, I have a pair of Vampires -- should 1) solder both wires into the inner pin? or 2) solder 1 wire into the inner pin and 1 to the outer shield?
Old 16th March 2010, 12:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi, shielding is going to be VERY important here. Unless you run the wires inside a grounded braid shield you will pick up hum.

Use this:
from RS components

same stuff here:

Hi-Fi collective

...but you don't have to buy so much.

It comes on an inner sleeve, but this is rather stiff for use so it's best replaced with a teflon tube inner. This also solves the mechanical strength problem. Just run the wires inside, twisted.

Isolate the screen from the phonos and ground it and the arm together to a separate earth wire. You then have an interconnect like the Incognito/Isokinetik/ Michell etc. ones.
Old 19th March 2010, 02:41 PM   #7
marekst is offline marekst  Poland
diyAudio Member

Don77,
I am not sure if this is the answer to your question. I used separate Cardas 33g wires (not the cable) for my tonearms. The red wire goes to red RCA center, green goes to red RCA outer ring or thing, white wire goes to black RCA center and blue goes to black RCA outer thing. Where I live shield is not necessary (not much hum to pick up here), I do not have separate ground wire either. To reduce the diameter of a hole in back of RCA I use a balsa wood plug drilled with 1/16” bit. I do not cover the wires with anything, I like air around them (extra insulation changes sound), I use balsa wood blocks to elevate and arrange the flimsy wires as needed. I bought my wire when braided wires were not available so I twisted the wires and keep two pairs separately.
Commercial wires have to work in every severe condition (polluted location, abusive owner…) therefore they are built differently.

Marek

Hide this!Advertise here!