Behringer PP400 mods? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2010, 04:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Behringer PP400 mods?

I've searched the forums and the 'net generally but can find no hobbyist input on the PP400 phono preamp. Well, I just gambled $20 on one and, to my surprise, it's not horrible. Noise is low, detail is OK, and output is not as overly hot as I'd been led to believe. Channel separation / imaging seems a bit mediocre, and it does seem that it's lacking some oomph in the low registers.

Has anyone done any modding or experimentation with one of these?
Old 11th March 2010, 05:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

one question....Why? hate to be that way but for $20 plus the price of mods, i think you could build a better sounding pre!
Old 11th March 2010, 08:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I've always thought I should be able to build a well-regarded pre for about $5-10 in parts. Over the last two years, such a plan has not come to my attention.

I bought the Behringer as a gamble to resolve an "emergency" left by the death of a beloved receiver in a room that sees 2-3 hours of vinyl time daily. But ultimately, $20 about is the cost of an enclosure, jacks, and a cheap power supply, plus shipping... and since I have Amazon Prime, I didn't even need to pay the latter on the PP400.

And if a replacement cap value or two has been discovered that would improve its abilities vastly... well, I just thought it was reasonable to ask
Old 12th March 2010, 04:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hello all, I had a go with this thingy and looking at its PCB, its basic single chip dual opamp implementation, as basic and good as its price point. No audiophile caps of any sort. There isn't any input load shunt nor capacitance to match the cartridge loading. A little mod here may do some good. The opamp is smd, the wall wart is cheap skate, unless you can swap it for something better, there may be some hope. In stock form,don't expect stellar performance with this. Its cheap and useable, nothing more.
Old 12th March 2010, 05:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much, coolmaster. What would be the primary audible benefits of adding capacitance in this case? I can solder stuff to points if the Internet says it's OK, but when it comes to comprehending the electronics theory behind the mods, I'm pretty dumb.
Old 12th March 2010, 08:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi, google cartridge loading, there's much to read and learn.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Will do. Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!