Need some help with DIY "extention" mixer box please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2010, 01:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Red face Need some help with DIY "extention" mixer box please

Hello everyone! am new to this forum and also new in building projects that have to do with mixers.

A friend gave me a Dynamix 6-4 vintage mixer and i thought i'd make it more versatile once its lacking some things (direct channel outs, mute switches per channel, stereo sub-groups)

I have already made a huge research on the net and even discussed about it in other forums and i came up with this solution :

I build a box that would do all those things i mentioned above

So the way to do this i think goes like that :

1. i get the 6 channel stereo outs from the pan-pot and lead them to the box (12 cables)

2. then i get them to the mute switches and ground the pot to mute (right?)

3. now it goes to 6 3pdt toggle switches from where i choose to send to stereo Gp1 or stereo Gp2. I use 3pdt coz i need to tap some twin led indicators on it to show me if the channel is routed at the Gp1 or Gp2 out.

4. From the 3pdt i also get the left of all channels and lead it to 6 Jacks that would be the direct outs

5. Now before the channels are driven to the Group 1 and 2 jacks i make 4 ACN ( virtual ground summing buss) 2 for the Gp1 L/R and 2 for the Gp2 L/R

Also to make it easier i wont route the sub-groups back to the main mix and wont be switches groups while performing to avoid any pops but mainly to avoid making a FET switching system.

So far so good (i think. if not, correct me please)!

My main problem is that i dont know where its best to get the stereo signal of each channel to lead to the box from. The mixers circuit seems very easy to understand but still my head cant fit it. thats why i included some pics to show u the channels and give me a hand if u can.

Is it ok to get it from the pan-pot lugs? No? Where from and what should i look for? I also include pics of the mixer, box i made (not with all components on) and connector that i will use to carry the cables from the mixer to the box. i think it might help u visualize it and give me some advices. The op-amps it uses per channel is TL072. I want the rest of the mixer functions to work no matter if i drive the channels to a sub-group and from there to a PA or another mixer.

Also i wanna ask which op-amp is better to use and which schematic of all that i found? do u recommend a specific one? What about the AD797? I will use the mixers power supply which is +15 -15 VDC. And where do i connect the offset null pins and the 8th pin of the op-amp in the ACN circuit?

I know its a lot to ask and i wont be surprised if i get no reply on this but please help me out if u got some time. Even some info or links that would help would be appreciated. I probably already have checked most of them if not all, but still....would be grateful!

Thanx a lot in advance!!!
George
Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!