Where can I get a good quality phono ground thumb screw? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2010, 01:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Where can I get a good quality phono ground thumb screw?

Hello All,

This is my first post, and my question is where can I get a good quality phono ground thumb screw, like the kind that are on the more expensive units. The thumb screw on my Marantz receiver is plastic and I just wanted to get a nicer one, as it would be a simple thing to do. I think most should be the same thread size.

Trouble is, I haven't been been able to find what I'm looking for so far online. Although I'm not sure what the parts technical name actually is.

Any help would be appreciated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 01:55 AM   #2
audi0 is offline audi0  Australia
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 37.34 degrees South
Blog Entries: 5
I got one recently from Parts Connexion, Vampire brand, brass construction and is pretty good quality. I am happy with it.
connectors_post_vampire
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 02:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by audi0 View Post
I got one recently from Parts Connexion, Vampire brand, brass construction and is pretty good quality. I am happy with it.
connectors_post_vampire
Thanks, but that isn't quite what I'm looking for. I want a thumb screw with the ridges for easy hand tightening with the Philips or regular screw head slot, preferably silver colored.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 03:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Victoria,TX
Blog Entries: 1
What about this one in EBAy?
here is the link:
Knurled Thumb Screws, Business Industrial, Health Beauty. Great deals on eBay!
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 03:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Victoria,TX
Blog Entries: 1
Sorry the link didn't paste right. Any way search in EBAY for " Knurled Thumb Screws"
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 03:47 AM   #6
audi0 is offline audi0  Australia
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 37.34 degrees South
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristofori View Post
Thanks, but that isn't quite what I'm looking for. I want a thumb screw with the ridges for easy hand tightening with the Philips or regular screw head slot, preferably silver colored.
Can you be a bit more specific, are we looking for a knurled head screw? Has it got to be a specific size? do you know what thread type?
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 04:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Victoria,TX
Blog Entries: 1
I think what are looking is the knurled head screw used in computer cases. They have for thumb and also have for slot or Phillips screw driver. Search for "COMPUTER CASE THUMB SCREWS" in EBAY or in Googles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 05:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristofori View Post
Hello All,

This is my first post, and my question is where can I get a good quality phono ground thumb screw, like the kind that are on the more expensive units. The thumb screw on my Marantz receiver is plastic and I just wanted to get a nicer one, as it would be a simple thing to do. I think most should be the same thread size.

Trouble is, I haven't been been able to find what I'm looking for so far online. Although I'm not sure what the parts technical name actually is.

Any help would be appreciated.
When I built my Hafler preamp kit many years ago I _didn't_ want the thumbscrew as it attached to a screw mounted on the chassis. I substituted an insulated 5 way binding post so I could connect the ground directly to the PCB rather than the chassis. Still works great.

G
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 07:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by audi0 View Post
Can you be a bit more specific, are we looking for a knurled head screw? Has it got to be a specific size? do you know what thread type?
Here is a photo of the Marantz PM-8003 integrated amp. Notice the silver metal phono ground screw with the philips head on the left? That's what I'm looking for. PM8003 Integrated Amplifier

I've seen this same type of thumb screw on other brands of receivers/amps as well so it must be a common size, but I can't seem to find anything like this so far as a separate part.

I'm not looking for something I have to install internally, just something I can screw in to the existing thread hole just to make my receiver look a little nicer.

Another member mentioned Computer case screws, and I think I know what he is talking about. Would these be the similar thread size?
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 01:06 AM   #10
Dogpile is offline Dogpile  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
I think you will find something similar at an electronics surplus store or hardware store that sells bulk screws. It's just a simple machine screw me thinks... Good luck!
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What does the phono ground wire actually ground? kirk57 Analog Line Level 7 30th May 2008 08:20 PM
Phono stage common ground hum!! ungie Analogue Source 11 3rd January 2008 12:01 AM
wtb: pcb screw-type ground point PM650 Parts 5 10th October 2007 04:39 AM
Quality phono preamp ? Optical Solid State 9 15th November 2002 10:22 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:56 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2