diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analogue Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/)
-   -   Tonearm ground wire - How to properly connect? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/162312-tonearm-ground-wire-how-properly-connect.html)

Dogpile 1st March 2010 02:25 AM

Tonearm ground wire - How to properly connect?

Hello all!

I am in the process of re-wiring my tonearm using a single run of wire from cart pins to phono preamp but I'm not sure how/where to attach the ground wire :confused:
I will be using 28 awg Discovery tonearm wire plus a separate ground wire in an unbalanced setup.

What is the best method to connect the ground wire?

A) Attach the ground wire to arm tube (or base of tonearm) which then connects to the phono pre?

OR

B) Attach the ground wire to the shielding of the cable itself (on the tonearm end)?

Comments and suggestions are appreciated :)

makaiyumtony 1st March 2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogpile (Post 2102676)
Hello all!

I am in the process of re-wiring my tonearm using a single run of wire from cart pins to phono preamp but I'm not sure how/where to attach the ground wire :confused:
I will be using 28 awg Discovery tonearm wire plus a separate ground wire in an unbalanced setup.

What is the best method to connect the ground wire?

A) Attach the ground wire to arm tube (or base of tonearm) which then connects to the phono pre?

OR

B) Attach the ground wire to the shielding of the cable itself (on the tonearm end)?

Comments and suggestions are appreciated :)

normally ground wire connect TT's base and amp's case mainly for safty, I have no shielding in my cable as long as they twisted tie and with very thin isolation in between, will not pick up hum easy, detail you can read the thread (build your own tonearm cable) in this forum
tony ma

Panicos K 1st March 2010 07:06 PM

Check for continuity from headshell and arm base.If it is ok,attach the ground wire on the arm base,so that the arm will be grounded.Shielding of the cable itself can be either soldered in the RCA --- terminal,or attached on the amplifier ground terminal.You can use a small length of wire (to connect shield to amp) with a spade lug for this.The shield will remain unterminated at the arm end.

Dogpile 2nd March 2010 02:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

Would there be a ground loop if the ground wire is attached to the arm tube as well as to the phono cables internal shielding?

Panicos K 2nd March 2010 05:18 AM

No since you will leave the cable shield open at the arm end.

binspaul 3rd March 2010 05:59 AM

Hi,

What will be the case with schroeder wood arms ? How will the ground cable be employed ?

Best regards,
Bins.

Panicos K 3rd March 2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binspaul (Post 2105310)
Hi,

What will be the case with schroeder wood arms ? How will the ground cable be employed ?

Best regards,
Bins.

I don't have any experiece with the schroeder,but I would say if you ground the base should be ok

Jeffrey Davison 3rd March 2010 11:37 PM

won't work as the arm is suspended by a non conductive string, and there is no direct electrical contact.

A 5th wire would have to be added to ground the headshell, which would go to the system ground ( or where ever you would normally ground your arm).

JD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panicos K (Post 2106235)
I don't have any experiece with the schroeder,but I would say if you ground the base should be ok

Panicos K 3rd March 2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Davison (Post 2106278)
won't work as the arm is suspended by a non conductive string, and there is no direct electrical contact.

A 5th wire would have to be added to ground the headshell, which would go to the system ground ( or where ever you would normally ground your arm).

JD

Hi,thanks.I haven't seen one of these from close :)

nikolazec 13th March 2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Davison (Post 2106278)

JD

explain, attach 5th wire on headshell, what if headshell is also wood
please can you explain that