Tonearm ground wire - How to properly connect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

I am in the process of re-wiring my tonearm using a single run of wire from cart pins to phono preamp but I'm not sure how/where to attach the ground wire :confused:
I will be using 28 awg Discovery tonearm wire plus a separate ground wire in an unbalanced setup.

What is the best method to connect the ground wire?

A) Attach the ground wire to arm tube (or base of tonearm) which then connects to the phono pre?

OR

B) Attach the ground wire to the shielding of the cable itself (on the tonearm end)?

Comments and suggestions are appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hello all!

I am in the process of re-wiring my tonearm using a single run of wire from cart pins to phono preamp but I'm not sure how/where to attach the ground wire :confused:
I will be using 28 awg Discovery tonearm wire plus a separate ground wire in an unbalanced setup.

What is the best method to connect the ground wire?

A) Attach the ground wire to arm tube (or base of tonearm) which then connects to the phono pre?

OR

B) Attach the ground wire to the shielding of the cable itself (on the tonearm end)?

Comments and suggestions are appreciated :)
normally ground wire connect TT's base and amp's case mainly for safty, I have no shielding in my cable as long as they twisted tie and with very thin isolation in between, will not pick up hum easy, detail you can read the thread (build your own tonearm cable) in this forum
tony ma

Check for continuity from headshell and arm base.If it is ok,attach the ground wire on the arm base,so that the arm will be grounded.Shielding of the cable itself can be either soldered in the RCA --- terminal,or attached on the amplifier ground terminal.You can use a small length of wire (to connect shield to amp) with a spade lug for this.The shield will remain unterminated at the arm end.

won't work as the arm is suspended by a non conductive string, and there is no direct electrical contact.

A 5th wire would have to be added to ground the headshell, which would go to the system ground ( or where ever you would normally ground your arm).

JD

I don't have any experiece with the schroeder,but I would say if you ground the base should be ok

won't work as the arm is suspended by a non conductive string, and there is no direct electrical contact.

A 5th wire would have to be added to ground the headshell, which would go to the system ground ( or where ever you would normally ground your arm).

JD

explain, attach 5th wire on headshell, what if headshell is also wood
please can you explain that

Check for continuity from headshell and arm base.If it is ok,attach the ground wire on the arm base,so that the arm will be grounded.Shielding of the cable itself can be either soldered in the RCA --- terminal,or attached on the amplifier ground terminal.You can use a small length of wire (to connect shield to amp) with a spade lug for this.The shield will remain unterminated at the arm end.

I would recommend using the wire with spade versus connecting directly (soldered) to the RCA. Just my experience with a multitude of commercial tables; sometimes leaving the ground floating is the lower hum configuration, sometimes not. But that way, you have the option. What works best can differ from one cartridge to the next with the same TT.

If you don't have a suitable ground lug on the preamp/integrated amp, you can usually make a connection of the ground to one of the RCA at the plug/jack if your spade lug isn't too substantial by kind of jamming it between the plug and jack (outer, not the pin). So, use a thin, smaller spade.

Similarly, if the table itself has RCA jacks you could alternately connect it at that point, which will ground any shield on your RCA connecting cable.

If you really want maximum versatility, two ground lugs at the TT might help. One connected to the chassis gnd and one connected to the RCA shield.

You would then have the option of running a jumper from the actual ground to the RCA shield at the TT end, or running it to the lug on the preamp/integrated amp, or leaving it floating (unconnected).

Last edited:
The Rega RB250 uses the shielding of the cable as a ground. When i had my arm rewired by Audio Origami they added a complete run with a spade connector on each end. This is very handy for me as I use a Townshend Rock and the chassis is metal so can ground using just about any screw on the TT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.