Grado ph-1 op amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
this may help

dave

Attachments

• GRADO_schem.gif
    GRADO_schem.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 892
Wow. I'm amazed that the schematic I worked up several years ago is still floating around the web. I should say that the NJM4556A spec is largely a guess, based on the fact that they seemed to be using common parts between the PH and RA-1s. That schematic and my subsequent prototype were based on a series of photographs of the amp, but the markings on most of the parts were either smudged or obscured. The IC used on the PH-1 is most definitely a JRC/NJM part, but I couldn't swear that it is the 4556. I think I tested the prototype with a 4556, but I've always used BB OPA2134PAs in practice as they are widely considered to be a superior part.

Cheers,
-Lee

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just to add to the confusion here is an alternative to consider:
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM4562.pdf

The LM4562 is both technically and sonically a great performer - should outperform the JRC part even if used in the Grado circuit.

Note that the data sheet shows a design using passive EQ and a couple of 4562 for stereo.

Interestingly enough it is also available in a metal can because in the Asian high end audio market metal canned op-amps are often preferred. (China in particular..) I have metal canned singles from this family that I have not yet tried.

Last edited:
Just to add to the confusion here is an alternative to consider:
http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM4562.pdf

The LM4562 is both technically and sonically a great performer - should outperform the JRC part even if used in the Grado circuit.

Note that the data sheet shows a design using passive EQ and a couple of 4562 for stereo.

Interestingly enough it is also available in a metal can because in the Asian high end audio market metal canned op-amps are often preferred. (China in particular..) I have metal canned singles from this family that I have not yet tried.

So you're saying this is a drop-in replacement for the JRC?

And now I show the wet behind my ears.

They intend for me to use both channels of the chip per signal, dual mono essentially? I suppose I could split it the other way and use half of each chip per channel but that would theoretically offer less isolation right?

Where they say 22nF//4.7nf//500pF what do they intend, is it a choice depending on desired gain, or do they mean me to run them in parallel or series or something? Same with 3.83kOhm + 100Ohm, is that to mean a 3.83k and then a 100 in series? Why not just illustrate it thusly? I find this circuit more difficult to grasp than the other (poor math skills).

EDIT: I see the other phono pre on page 29... this is easier. But which is better?

Last edited:
And now I show the wet behind my ears.

They intend for me to use both channels of the chip per signal, dual mono essentially? I suppose I could split it the other way and use half of each chip per channel but that would theoretically offer less isolation right?

Where they say 22nF//4.7nf//500pF what do they intend, is it a choice depending on desired gain, or do they mean me to run them in parallel or series or something? Same with 3.83kOhm + 100Ohm, is that to mean a 3.83k and then a 100 in series? Why not just illustrate it thusly? I find this circuit more difficult to grasp than the other (poor math skills).

EDIT: I see the other phono pre on page 29... this is easier. But which is better?

I just asked this question!

Yes, caps in parallel to arrive at the correct value.

Yes, resistors in series to arrive at correct value.

I ordered my parts yesterday and will be building a phono pre using two LME49720 dual op amps.

I just asked this question!

Yes, caps in parallel to arrive at the correct value.

Yes, resistors in series to arrive at correct value.

I ordered my parts yesterday and will be building a phono pre using two LME49720 dual op amps.

Is that a common practice? Writing diagrams like that.

I think I'll build this as shown... cheap and cheerful right? Maybe a nice sappele or bubinga case to class it up a bit...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.