DIY Turntable belts.. How?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2010, 11:54 AM   #1
ksporry is offline ksporry  China
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Turntable belts.. How??

Guys,
Does anyone know how to make a turntable belt?
I'm trying to figure out what materials I can use and how to actually make it (searches on the internet find nothing other than "replacing" belts).

To give you some info: I am using a Pro-ject Genie motor and an acrylic platter made for the genie (acrylteller).
However, the distance between motor and platter are currently quite a bit more than on the genie, so I cannot use the genie's belt.
Old 25th February 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

How about a elastic thread ? I and all my friends here are using elastic thread. you can get it from clothing supply try the thinest one, start turn by hand first before switch on but your motor has to be speed adjusted, this idea is from SPJ
Tony Ma
Old 25th February 2010, 02:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

We don't like o-rings?

The manufactured ones (as opposed to the DIY ones made from superglued cord) are generally well formed and seamless.

They come in all shapes, sizes and flavors too.

This is what I was planing to do for my table project, but if this is a bad idea, I'd like to know now!

PS since there are also square-section O-rings, this might be a better solution- these type seem to be what are used on some tables...
Old 25th February 2010, 05:34 PM   #4
winggo is offline winggo  United States
diyAudio Member

Try using fishing line. Do not use the Spider Wire type, that has almost no stretch. Just good old cheap stretchy fishing line works great. Use a lite line weight like 4 or 6 lb and double loop it. The smaller line diameter means smaller knots.
Old 25th February 2010, 06:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Silk thread always seemed a favorite, my test Tt is running on a single strand of cotton sewing thread.
Old 25th February 2010, 06:49 PM   #6
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm using upholstery thread (from Walmart) with a square knot. Maybe not perfect, but it is working for me. If you are looking for more of a belt, you can try magnetic tape. I've used 1/4" R2R, but I don't see why you couldn't use cassette or VCR tapes if those widths worked better. I was using packing tape to splice. Regular "scotch" style tape didn't want to hold for more than a few days.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 25th February 2010, 09:08 PM   #7
ksporry is offline ksporry  China
diyAudio Member

ok, so when not supergluing rubber-like strings, how do you connect the ends of a piece of, say, silk string? Just tie a knot?
Old 25th February 2010, 09:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think that is what is done.

However, I don't see why you couldn't also lap the ends and super glue those as well.. (except if you have a very small drive pulley which may have too small a radius for the stiff string area; although I suspect it would do the same with a knot?)

I don't know. Haven't got that far yet!

(Still leaning toward an O-ring as no one says not to )
Old 26th February 2010, 03:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksporry View Post
ok, so when not supergluing rubber-like strings, how do you connect the ends of a piece of, say, silk string? Just tie a knot?
a thin elastic thread with a knot is ok even you can't see the knot too. you can try them all and find out the difference and make the final decision, there will be a lot of fun in doing that and will not cost too much money
tony ma
Old 26th February 2010, 04:40 AM   #10
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

I use this tape from mcmaster.com. 75895A21

It's a very thin polyester tape. I cut the ends on a bias (so there is a more gradual transition to the double thickness part), overlap a few cm to create a belt. Then I coat the remaining exposed adhesive with talc. I use the non-adhesive side against the turntable and motor spindle. It's kinda tricky to handle during construction, but once you make a good belt, it can last for years.

Sheldon

Hide this!Advertise here!