DIY record clamp weight

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.

As part of my DIY turntable, I found plans for a DIY record clamp, and made one.

Took about 45 minutes and looks OK. I think I may grit blast the large OD to give it some contrast and hide the marks on the bar...

it will be a gift to my soon to be Father-in-Law for his Rega Planar 3!:D

Attachments

• IMG_4320.jpg
    IMG_4320.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 622
Thanks!

I've got access to all sorts of machines and materials...

Could have made it from OFC or Yellow Brass (maybe even a tungsten insert in top??) but it gets too heavy... I choose to use aluminum (or aluminium to you ;)) to keep the weight reasonable.

Maybe the next one will be aluminum with an OFC band for color contrast... Or wood/copper... Plenty of ideas!

Well, delivered the weight to my (future) Father-In-Law and he really liked it.:D

Over the course of the evening, he pulled the platen off his table and showed me it was a glass one! I did not realize that, as he always has the felt pad on top.

All I know is that his old Planar 3 sounds quite good! I hope my home-made table will be as nice sounding!:confused:

diy record clamp.

thats looks awesome . im a cabinet maker by trade and actually made three clamps using scraps of corian . 1/2 thick material. layered it 4 times using black white gray ,granite colors and filled them with 6 ounce flattened sinkers. beautiful weights about 1.25 pounds.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Nicely engineered job.

Record clamps can work very well when properly designed (not saying this one isn't) but most tend to couple the noise present at the spindle to the record.
Noise that will be picked up, time delayed by the stylus and will end up amplified at the speaker end.

Just as with electronics, mechanical engineering is a matter of taking care of impedances.

I have no intend to rain on the party, just to make people aware of possible pittfalls. :)

Ciao, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.