Beogram 4500 tonearm adjustment - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2010, 07:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Beogram 4500 tonearm adjustment

The turntable belongs to my mother in-law. Looks to be in mint condition except for recent destruction of the cantilever arm of the cartridge (MMC-5). It can be used in automatic or semi-automatic mode. Semi-automatic mode works OK: eyeball the lead-in groove and drop the tone arm using the tone arm position controls < > located next to the on/off (or play/stop) button.

The automatic mode does not work; the default loading position of the tonearm is off by perhaps a millimeter or two at most. And for my mother in law this is a huge problem; using the TT manually (as a workaround) is not an option. I have the turntable on my workbench. She has called four times in the last 90 minutes.

Any help with fixes/schematics appreciated.

Doug

Last edited by Variac; 21st February 2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10th September 2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Boydk is offline Boydk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Waverider.......
Take off the platter and the black plastic underneath it. YouŽll see a plastic gear wheel with two solenoids. Under this wheel thereŽs a smaller wheel with an excentric screw in it. Turning this screw will get the arm to settle further in/out.
Old 10th September 2010, 05:25 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider View Post
The turntable belongs to my mother in-law. <snip> I have the turntable on my workbench. She has called four times in the last 90 minutes.

Any help with fixes/schematics appreciated.

Doug

You know they say no good deed goes unrewarded...

General information and manuals here: BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

MMC5

Before you go too far you had better do some research on the MMC-5 cartridge/stylus issue as it appears to be very difficult and expensive to find a replacement. (No one seems to make replacements except for the very earliest B&O) carts) The stylus apparently is not user replaceable.

MMC4

Edit: I see the OP posted about 7 months ago so all of this is probably a non issue now. Hope it turned out ok.

Hide this!Advertise here!