Why doesn't someone make a modern analog optical disc format for audio? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2010, 01:53 PM   #11
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximRecoil View Post
Yes. Originally they only had analog audio, and later they had both analog and digital audio. They had analog video too.
It's still made up of pits and lands of 1's and 0's, how analog can that be.
Old 17th February 2010, 05:44 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Laserdiscs are an interesting format. The information is analog, PWM. An FM signal is created from the analog original. The signal is chopped so it resembles a square wave of varying widths and sizes. This is made into the pits on the disc.
A web search could probably turn up a better explanation. I don't see why any optical disc couldnt hold data this way. Thing is you'd need your own way of encoding and decoding the disc.
Old 17th February 2010, 06:25 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

This all assumes that you'll be able to record and read the information with better resolution than an 18-22 bit digital sampled signal, which isn't really technically feasable. You're also giving up error correction, time and pitch synchronization, and a bunch of other things you can do more easily with a digital signal.

In short, I don't think it would be hard to do, but there appears to be almost no demand for it considering it's not easier to implement, it's not more compact than digital for the same information stored, and there's so little interest in hi-fi sound in general.

John
Old 17th February 2010, 06:30 PM   #14
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

There is an interesting benefit to content producers, 'perfect' copies would no longer be possible.
Old 17th February 2010, 07:16 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I think the real standard is not the storage resolution by itself but the limitations of both the A/D and D/A processes in real world equipment and sadly, one or both are markedly inferior SQ speaking (seldom if ever over 16 bit at best in the aggregate, usually significantly less), to good analog 99+% of the time. There's little point in merely focusing on wide word lengths and high sampling rates (which we really don't even have any more with the demise of SACD and DVDA) and completely ignoring the fact that SQ is virtually always significantly compromised in real world equipment during the A/D/A conversion processes. That's a major factor that contributed to a generation of what I consider ruined recordings starting with the 'perfect sound forever' CD hoopla.

Last edited by thoriated; 17th February 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:27 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Something I have wondered, and would like to try:
COULD it be possible to make a CD-R writer create (on a normal CDR) a disc that a Laservision player will play?
You'd have to convert an AVI file into some digital variant that 'looks' like analogue video, and is still compatible with what you can dump to a CDR drive.
Old 18th February 2010, 04:28 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenze View Post
It's still made up of pits and lands of 1's and 0's, how analog can that be.
The pits and lands don't represent 1s and 0s on a LaserDisc's analog audio track. There is a brief explanation here.
Old 18th February 2010, 04:45 AM   #18
alvaius is offline alvaius  Canada
diyAudio Member

Are we going down the analog/digital rat-hole again.... :-)

As much as I love my vinyl, I think we are at that point with modern 24/192 systems where analog recording no longer makes any sense. Delta-sigma A/D systems have extremely high dynamic range and beyond 18 bits.

Yes SACD and DVDA is dead as has been pointed out, but it has been replaced by high resolution systems on BLUE-RAY which will have better penetration.

Alvaius
Old 18th February 2010, 06:56 AM   #19
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

24/192, I'm guessing if nobody can tell a difference between that and say 20/96, there is no push for further development. Video, on the other hand, there's never enough pixel or bitrate. But we're still stuck with 24/32-bit color.

Sometimes I wonder a good DAC vs LP, which will give better value.

But I guess an apple-to-apple comparison isn't possible with everything being mastered digitally nowadays. I'm guilty of listening to synthesized music.

Last edited by wwenze; 18th February 2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 18th February 2010, 03:42 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

While I agree, the industry has chosen digital and its here to stay, also I don't think we'll be seeing any new formats anytime soon.

The thought exercise has given me an idea. If we were starting from scratch why couldnt we make an analog format using high bandwith PWM? The "bitrate" could be compatible with a class D type amp, set up at a similar rate. The PWM data could be read directly off the disc and fed real time to the amp, right to the speakers. Shortest signal ever possible?

Hide this!Advertise here!