Poor Quality ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ,,, i am new on this forum.
I am from Brazil and i am one more fan about listening music ...

it past 3 weeks i think i got interested to purchase a "used" old turntable here at my country.

I found one with the mechanical system perfect BUT the sound quality is terrible :(

So, i really dont know what can i do to make the sound get better. On the cartridge of my player i saw an "adaptador" and the cables of the "arm" is very tinny.

If i change the "cables" of the "arm" or chanve the cartridge can i get a better sound ?

sorry about my english.
the words in "..." means that i dont know the correct nomeclature (name) of the piece or i dont know the word in english

thanks for any help.

virtu

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi, virtu
Welcome to the forum.
Nice website you have there; are these your drawings? :cool:

What brand is your turntable and cartridge? Is the needle still ok?
Is it well calibrated?

Don't worry about your English, we understand everyone here ;)

/Hugo – MultiEnglish :)

poor quality

I think that Gradiente owned Garrard in the late 80's, so you might have a turntable that people in other parts of the world would recognise if you posted a photo. The wires in the arm are supposed to be tiny -- they only carry a very small signal and they need to be very flexible. But I am not sure what the adaptor you mention is -- if it is unneccessary it probably would be worth experimenting and taking it out.

It occurs to me that you might be running the signal from the turntable into the wrong input -- I looked at the Le Son site and they seem to make both magnetic and ceramic/piezo cartridges, and if you are hooking up a magnetic cartridge to a ceramic input or vise versa, you will get either insufficient signal or major overload. Or if you are plugging into a high level input you won't get decent sound. Pardon me if you already know this. These are obvious mistakes but people new to vinyl sometimes aren't aware of them.

Hi Nat Eddy

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe i will buy a digital camera and post a photography of the player on my site (not sure when i will get the camera).

About the adaptor. The cartridge and the wires are not familiar the conections, let me more expecific, to connect the wires on the cartridge i need the adaptor.

About the wires. I think the wires is ok, only if are they broked inside or have bad conditions to carry the signal.

But first of all i think i will change the cartridge and listen to check the quality of the sound. Next week i will try to do this.

virtu

Hi Havoc.

Thanks for the reply.

In this site (http://www.leson.com.br/fonocaptores.htm)
if you go to ceramic/piezo cartridges section you can see my
cartridge (model: LK - 100 S).

Looking at the ceramic/piezo cartridge and the magnetic ones I can see the 4 little "things" at the back, and on ceramic/piezo dont have this.

The adaptor that i mentioned its a piece to connect at a ceramic/piezo cartridge and have the 4 "things" to connect the wires. Understand ?

I have a ceramic/piezo cartridge with an adapter to connect like a magnetic cartridge like Nat Eddy said.

I will try to get a magnetic cartridge with a friend to test it.

virtu

I do not get the whole idea. So, what you say is that at the back of the cartridge (the lk-100s block at the end of your arm, where you put the stylus vn-100 (needle) in) has no 4 contacts for wires. You have some kind of adaptor that gives you contacs for the 4 wires. Now, where is that adaptor? At the back of your cartridge, at your amp, in your TT??

Also, do you connect this to a riaa preamp? As I remember, this is not needed for a piezo. You should be able to connect this straight to a line input.

Hi Havoc.

The adpator is in the back of the cartridge.

But today I made some tests.

I went to a shop and test the TT and the sound was poor. Change the cartridge for a magnetic cartridge and the sound was amazing.

But when i got back home the sound was poor again. I have several equipments that i can connect the TT like a mini-system, audio input of a TV, a cube for guitar and all this units the sound was poor.

The cartridge now is OK. The Turntable is OK. But the volume is not OK.

Right now i dont know what to do. Maybe come back to the shop i went and ask about their equipments that they used.

virtu

Virtu,

The magnetic cartridge MUST be connected to a Phono input. The Phono input handles the low voltage delivered by the cartridge and also introduces the RIAA equalization.

--- Em portugues ---

A capsula magnetica TEM que ser conectada a uma entrada de Phono. A entrada de Phono aumenta a baixa voltagem que a capsula gera e tambem faz a equalizacao RIAA.

grimberg said:
Virtu,

The magnetic cartridge MUST be connected to a Phono input. The Phono input handles the low voltage delivered by the cartridge and also introduces the RIAA equalization.
If you have a magnetic cartridge and you use the aux input of the amp instead of the phono input it will sound all treble and no bass. Very weak and thin, even worse than a pocket transistor radio. :dead:

It sounds like the other turntable that your friend loaned you had an RIAA preamp built into it, so it could be plugged into the line level input of your amplifier.

An RIAA pre-amp does two things:

1) It amplifies the very low voltage signal coming out of the catridge to the level needed by the amplifier.

2) It equalizes the signal, decreasing the treble and increasing the base in a very specific manner that matches the way the music was recorded onto the disk.

Most older audio systems had "phono input" connections with the RIAA pre-amp built in. Most recent ones do not. I would recommend that you go back to the store where you bought your cartridge and ask them about phono pre-amplifiers for your turntable.

Good luck!

-bill

Hi ciclotron and wrankin

thanks for the posts.

I would like to say that ciclotron said is what is happening here.

At the store that i went the seller told me that is aunt have an old sound system to sell (with tape tuner, TT, radio, amp. and speakers, all from sony) and I will see if have the PHONO input.

If have it and the sounds quality is clear and good, maybe, i will buy it, or not.

My intention is to "build" a system with TT, the phono pre-amplifiers and nice speakers.

thanks for all.

virtu

p.s.: by the way this is a picture of the model of my TT
http://usuarios.lycos.es/virtuosit/gradiente.jpg

virtu said:

Anyone knows if is possible to fix it ?

Virtu,

It should be possible to fix it, unless the parts needed are proprietary and no longer available from the manufacturer.
Why don't you tell us more about the amplifier? If you feel so inclined, you can also remove the cover (unplug the amp first!) and tell us about the output devices (those mounted on heatsinks). What do they look like (physical description)? What is written on them?

Hi Grimberg;

I tried to remove the cover but the screws are with problemas, they dont turn around anymore .. i will try to broke the screw to remove the cover to fix the amp.

About the amp. its a CCE SR-200 model (CCE is a brazilian brand that uses same pieces of gradiente).

I dont know more about it ... just the basic ... it is a integrade amp. for phono/cd/tape/radio/video ...

thanks for the help.

virtu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.