Studer A812- which tape

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am lucky enough to have just acquired a lovely Studer A812 mk 2 with time code. It is trolley mounted with penthouse and in superb cosmetic and electrical condition with very few miles "on the clock." It has switchable NAB/CCIR eq and the ability to store characteristics for two tapes on each setting. New tapes can be dialled in using the onboard electronics, although I don't know how accurate this method is. The question I want to ask though, is which tapes really bring out the best in this machine? I have come back to open reel machines after many years away as am setting up a new forensic audio/restoration studio. We also need to get our hands on a machine that runs at 15/16 ips and was thinking of a Uher report 4000 series machine, is this a sensible option? All advice greatfully received.

Back in the day (that sounds like Iam a dinosaur) when I worked on such gear the usual was Ampex 456 . I have no idea what is even available today but we usually got the best results with the 456 useing the Sound technology 1510 tape recorder analyzer for measurements.
That's probably not much help but that's my 2.5 cents worth .

The only tapes available today is made by RMGI, Recordable Media Group International B.V. - RMG International -, or ATR magnetics , ATR Magnetics, LLC.

The tapes coming from RMGI are the BASF clones 911 and 900 together with the AGFA clone of 468.

The ATR Magnetics tape is a completely new formulation.

I have for a very long time liked the AGFA 468 formulation and still thinks it is one of the best compromises ever done.

Hello forensic.
Studer for sure performs superb with Agfa PEM or PER. 468 is ok. Ampex grandmaster (456) behaves different. But you need (well, want) to adjust your machine for a particular tape anyway if you want the most out of your machine. Those tapes are already programmed if i remember correctly. And, if erased, easily programmed again.
Read the manual, Yes it is darn accurate sir !

You want to get your hands on a machine that is doing 15ips and asks for an Uher 4000 ? Those lovely machines .. 7.5ips is tops for a 4000. Is it a typo ? or are you really after a portable 15ips machine ? I know I want one but the price ain't right :p
I still use my Uher 4200 report monitor. I just love those old big round vu meters.

Congratulations on your new Studer! The 812 has always been my object of desire.
Studer 812 has a very wide operating range which ensures it will work optimally with almost any kind of tape, provided that it is calibrated well. Here are some considerations to be taken into account and which you might find useful:

1. I do not know if you already have a tape library or not. However, wether you are just about to start it now or are merely continuing your tape saga with 812, make sure that it is well aligned for reproduction: that will include checking and realigning the playback head and the playback electronics for precise and even output level as well as flat frequency response with a corresponding calibration tape. This is a good start to make your new Studer a reference. In an ideal case, you will want to go through the whole checkup and calibration procedure described in the service manual. Feel free to send me a PM if you need operating and service manuals.

2. Choice of tape is generally up to you, although you should be aware of the active tape tension system, which is not very delicate and you will want to avoid extensive use of LP and DP tapes. I would recommend using 35 and 50 thickness, backcoated tapes, such as BASF LPR35, Maxell UD series, AGFA PEM468, and even TDK AUDUA. I would avoid all Ampex tapes as they are known of becoming sticky and shedding over time. Obviously these are all second hand tape types.
Another consideration in choosing tapes is the related head wear. Your 812 should be equipped with studio standard 2-track "butterfly" heads with 0,75mm gap between channels (rather than 2 mm) which are very rare and very expensive to source. That said, studio tapes such as BASF PER, LGR or other studio master tapes will have a greater impact on heads life. Frankly, I see no reason in using studio grade tapes in presumably home applications because in my experience every correctly aligned and calibrated Studer recorder will deliver excellent results even with non-studio tapes. My personal choce are BASF LPR35 and Maxell UD35/BL.

3. Regarding the calibration, the 812 offers the convenience of bias, level and EQ preset memory, but studio managers prefer calibrating manually every reel of tape immediately before recording. This is particularly valid for old tapes which in many cases require different level and EQ levels than when they were new, wether used or NOS. Together with cleaning of heads and demagnetization, manual calibration will bring the best out of every reel you put on your Studer.

4. Last but not least, if your preferred speed is 15ips, I recommend you try and use the CCIR equalization.

Last edited:
Buy new old stock German tapes, like BASF and Agfa, or Japanese Maxell and TDK. Avoid the American ones Scotch and Ampex, they are all sticky and useless.

You would also want to support current tape manufacturers such as ATR Magnetics, based in America or RMGI, based in France which makes versions of BASF's latest tape types, to help the format - their prices are really not much more than you would find for old stock AGFA or the like.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.