I'm fed up!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2010, 05:26 PM   #1
soma89 is offline soma89  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default I'm fed up!!

I've tried everything...distilled water, 99% alcohol, Dawn, Sunlight, Windex..Everything. Some of my records still sound crackly despite what a lot of people say about these products.

I'm thinking it could be a static problem...Has anyone ever heard of using Armor All on records? Anything else I could use that would help my situatin here? Thanks
Old 2nd February 2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Do a little search here at the forum. You'll find quite some good info on cleaning records.
Personally I use a Okki Nokki cleaning machine and made a cleaning solution like they do at the library of congress Cylinder, Disc and Tape Care in a Nutshell (Preservation, Library of Congress)
Old 2nd February 2010, 06:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Have you used a record cleaning machine?

I'm currently amassing parts to build my own, but otherwise I use the VPI 16.5 we have at work. It's a miracle machine, give the records a good scrub with the vpi juice and then a spin on the cleaner and they're as silent as they'll ever get.

(PS I'm pretty sure the VPI stuff is the same as the Congress stuff)

Last edited by raypalmer; 2nd February 2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: addition
Old 2nd February 2010, 06:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma89 View Post
I've tried everything...distilled water, 99% alcohol, Dawn, Sunlight, Windex..Everything. Some of my records still sound crackly despite what a lot of people say about these products.

I'm thinking it could be a static problem...Has anyone ever heard of using Armor All on records? Anything else I could use that would help my situatin here? Thanks
Some records will always sound that way because of damage to the grooves. Cleaning products will not repair damage but will in many cases release mold and dirt and improve the sound.
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Air compressor with the sports ball filling attachment a few mm above a spinning record does the trick too.

Takes some time, but does a heckuva job

Cheers!
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok what is Tergitol™ 15-S-7 Surfactant, and where can you get it.
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:30 PM   #7

Give Dow Chemicals a phone call.
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:17 PM   #8
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Be very careful of using chemicals. They accelerate the migration of the plasticisers used in manufacture. Such migration is a natural process which speeds up in warmer rooms. The result is that the surface becomes more brittle and this can only result in more noise.

The other danger is that some chemicals can loosen the glue which holds the stylus to the cantilever and result in it coming adrift. I cfan unfortunately speak from experience on this risk!

No doubt someone who knows the science involved can post more fully on this.

Last edited by brianco; 3rd February 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma89 View Post

I have a post in here title Do you think OK to wax a vinyl ? try it to see any different after, it will help to reduce static too, or get a heavy duty tape eraser from ebay (old product for vidio audio tape) also can reduce static problem
Tony Ma
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:55 PM   #10

Good advice, Brianco.
I use the Tergitol solution and rinse the record twice thoroughly with distilled water.
I have done test with an old record. Using the Tergitol solution without rinsing leaves visible stains but I wasn't able to hear any suspicious noises or artifacts.

Hide this!Advertise here!