Vinyl Temple Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been designing a turntable for many years and have decided to finally build it. I have come to conclusion that it will be a floor standing construction and its features include: ourboard motor with mains filter, belt driven, tool steel bearing and shaft, Steel sub platter with large acrylic main platter, solid wood cantilever plinths bolted together with steel tubes filled with sand and interfaced with glass separating them - reinforced by a re-bar type thread to hold it all together and allow height adjustment, an air bearing tonearm aluminium mainly. The whole system will be spiked and sit on a concrete slab. I have always liked Art Deco so It will be on that theme. I have included some preliminary drawings I did on the computer. All I need to do now is get the relevant paper work singed by the wife and i'm off. I'll put some photos up when I can. I am going to call it the Vinyl Temple.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 364
  • cutaway2.jpg
    cutaway2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 355
Build So Far

The Vinyl Temple is coming along.

Am working on the motor pillar and gluing the arm tube tomorrow.

I had the platter fashioned at a local engineering firm. They did an excellent job. I worked on the shaft and bearing so that they are mirror smooth. The platter system consists of a steel sub, 50mm Nylatron GSM mid and Acylic 10mm top. It is totally noiseless and has excellent balance and inertia.

I'll come back with more soo.

Invicta

Attachments

• vt1.JPG
    vt1.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 262
  • vt2.JPG
    vt2.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 253
  • vt3.JPG
    vt3.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 244
I have been designing a turntable for many years and have decided to finally build it. I have come to conclusion that it will be a floor standing construction and its features include: ourboard motor with mains filter, belt driven, tool steel bearing and shaft, Steel sub platter with large acrylic main platter, solid wood cantilever plinths bolted together with steel tubes filled with sand and interfaced with glass separating them - reinforced by a re-bar type thread to hold it all together and allow height adjustment, an air bearing tonearm aluminium mainly. The whole system will be spiked and sit on a concrete slab. I have always liked Art Deco so It will be on that theme. I have included some preliminary drawings I did on the computer. All I need to do now is get the relevant paper work singed by the wife and i'm off. I'll put some photos up when I can. I am going to call it the Vinyl Temple.

The Vinyl Temple is coming along.

Am working on the motor pillar and gluing the arm tube tomorrow.

I had the platter fashioned at a local engineering firm. They did an excellent job. I worked on the shaft and bearing so that they are mirror smooth. The platter system consists of a steel sub, 50mm Nylatron GSM mid and Acylic 10mm top. It is totally noiseless and has excellent balance and inertia.

I'll come back with more soo.

Invicta

WOW !!!!! ...... :note::note::note:

Thanks Studio Au. It is similar to the Flexy rack, but instead of rubber it uses glass marbles and the tubes are sand filled. The bottom slab rests on 9 rubber feet which allows a little movment and protects the floor. It is a bit of a beast as it weighs about the same as a small car!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.