Linn "LINTO" MC Preamp Schematic without SMPS - Schematic for SMPS wanted - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2011, 08:45 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

It seems to be very hard to find a schematic of this SMPS
Old 19th April 2011, 08:53 AM   #22
niamex is offline niamex  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Thanks to everybody who tried to help. At the end of the day we have replaced the SPS with a normal toroidal transformer and now it is OK.
Cheers,
Ignat
Old 21st April 2011, 08:07 AM   #23
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

A much better proposition all round!
Old 21st April 2011, 09:53 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Looks like that at the moment. I will have to change a bit the housing - no problem. Replaced 14 electrolytic caps with 22 uf tantalum and opamps.
Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAIRN PS.JPG (533.6 KB, 567 views)
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:40 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_a View Post
So far I never understood why a low power line amp (or phono amp) would benefit from a SMPS.
there is an advantage in all cases by using of SMPS, where an indoor power supply and transformer is in use near by the line/RIAA unit (in opposite to a classical 50 Hz transformer).
But the use of a power supply in the same housing (i. e. near by the voltage amplifier stages) is generally considered by me to be very unfavorable, even by power amplifiers.
By an outdoor power supply I don't prefer SMPS by the currently available clock rates.
Nevertheless most brands don't prefer seperate outdoor power supplies (unfortunately).
Quote:
Originally Posted by niamex View Post
Looks like that at the moment. I will have to change a bit the housing - no problem. Replaced 14 electrolytic caps with 22 uf tantalum and opamps.
Cheers,
Great work. Unfortunately the showed device is the PCB of the line/phono preamplifier model "KAIRN" and not that one from LINTO. The still needed Schematic is that one of the SMPS device from LINTO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
The first picture shows the embedded SMPS, from which is the created schematic.
The second picture shows an other (older?) "Brilliant"- version from Linn. This schematic I don't have !!
Here some additional pictures of the first picture from there, found about Linn Brilliant SMPS - naked! - pink fish media
(except the last pic - from this version I need also a schematic diagram).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Linn Brilliant open.jpg (76.2 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg Linn Brilliant component side.jpg (152.9 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg Linn Brilliant solder side.jpg (124.2 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg Linn Brilliant first edition.jpg (38.7 KB, 437 views)

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 22nd April 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 22nd April 2011, 02:36 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
there is an advantage in all cases by using of SMPS, where an indoor power supply and transformer is in use near by the line/RIAA unit (in opposite to a classical 50 Hz transformer).
But the use of a power supply in the same housing (i. e. near by the voltage amplifier stages) is generally considered by me to be very unfavorable, even by power amplifiers.
By an outdoor power supply I don't prefer SMPS by the currently available clock rates.
Nevertheless most brands don't prefer seperate outdoor power supplies (unfortunately).
Thanks for the comment. In my case I do not have a RIAA stage but I am considering to take it out - I don't like the present arrangement. Will be easy to make a separate housing next to the preamp. Not an easy job with my three LK 100's but the most difficult is to take the decision - afterwords just copy-paste.
Cheers,
Old 5th July 2011, 10:22 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Just a matter of curiosity - and my transistor circuit theory is rather rusty:
Perhaps one of you learned folk can answer the following.
If I look at the input circuit of the Linto signal circuitry (attached to the first post of this thread), I am puzzed. The very first signal transistor - when the audio comes from the moving coil cartridge does not appear to have a built in DC bias. The base is effectively floating being isolated from the outside world by a couple of capacitors.
How can this be? I thought stable transistor circuitry required a stable bias??

Sorry for what might me a dumb question to some of you...

don
Old 31st August 2012, 04:15 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

schematic for "LINTO" SMPS still needed
Old 1st September 2012, 06:54 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
schematic for "LINTO" SMPS still needed
Hi, you can try using an R-core transformer instead - I have changed the toroid in the KAIRN for this one.
Regards
Old 21st October 2012, 05:55 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niamex View Post
Hi, you can try using an R-core transformer instead - I have changed the toroid in the KAIRN for this one.
Regards
yes, like used in the first editions of that models.

I am still looking for the schematic of the SMPS from the Linto.

Hide this!Advertise here!