Linn "LINTO" MC Preamp Schematic without SMPS - Schematic for SMPS wanted - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2010, 11:47 PM   #11
msdin is offline msdin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Found this on the net.

I was used to hearing the usual sort of white noise increment as the cost of listening to my beloved vinyl. But with the Linto… nothing. Brian explained that this was the result of Linn’s excellence of design and componentry, coupled with their Linn Brilliant SMPS power supply technology.
Old 1st December 2010, 01:13 PM   #12
msdin is offline msdin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Following my post #11. Is it the round SMPS that you are after, I have found some photos of the insides of this SMPS.
Old 12th December 2010, 09:21 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I have read this thread with interest.

Does anyone know if HDS-Power still exists, or of a business that can repair the Brilliant in my Kairn. It has done the old fading light trick and died.

Regards

William
Old 14th December 2010, 07:00 AM   #14
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

So far I never understood why a low power line amp (or phono amp) would benefit from a SMPS.

It's just a noise bomb (though usually out of the audible range) that needs a lot of filtering (inductors, caps) with no real benefit for low power applications.

Why don't you guys rip it out and replace it with something more fancy, maybe shunt regs?

Of course I understand, one wants to keep the unit in original state and there's always little space left, but it's certainly an alternative to leaving it unused in storage forever.
Old 31st January 2011, 08:50 PM   #15
niamex is offline niamex  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Hi there,
i need badly a schematic of the SMPS or more precise SPS as it is written on the box of my KAIRN PRO - it is the box shown on the attachment 2 in post 5 here. Please help if you have a link or something concerning that PS.
Thanks in advance,
Ignat
Old 31st January 2011, 08:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_a View Post
So far I never understood why a low power line amp (or phono amp) would benefit from a SMPS.

It's just a noise bomb (though usually out of the audible range) that needs a lot of filtering (inductors, caps) with no real benefit for low power applications.

Why don't you guys rip it out and replace it with something more fancy, maybe shunt regs?

Of course I understand, one wants to keep the unit in original state and there's always little space left, but it's certainly an alternative to leaving it unused in storage forever.
I would like to do it therefore I am looking for a schematic/
Cheers,
Old 31st January 2011, 11:51 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

This is probably no good to you but :

Linn Brilliant SMPS - naked! - pink fish media
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:27 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Looking at the pc board and components the linn power supply isn't anything special - Just a switchmode power supply fitered a little better in the audio band. The Jung super regulator and several shunt regulators on this site will outperform the Linn SMPS and actually sound beter. Get over the Linn propaganda and use one the suggested supplies.
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:40 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
Looking at the pc board and components the linn power supply isn't anything special - Just a switchmode power supply fitered a little better in the audio band. The Jung super regulator and several shunt regulators on this site will outperform the Linn SMPS and actually sound beter. Get over the Linn propaganda and use one the suggested supplies.
Thanks !
I am not a fan of LINN's execution. I have replaced already all the shitty cheap components in LK 100 /3 pcs/ incl. power transistors, diodes etc.and I like to do the same with the KAIRN and just for that I need the schematic - to find out what exactly to supply from the new PS which I want to build. Will be thankful if you give me some link to these you regulators you have mentioned above. Take into account I am a novice and will take some time to understand please do not blame me.
Regards,
Ignat
Old 5th February 2011, 09:26 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Jung super regulator and several shunt regulators on this site will outperform the Linn SMPS and actually sound beter.
Well well , can you prove that ? Or if you want we can check ?

Hide this!Advertise here!