Need help with turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm new to these forums and was wondering if anyone can help me. I've got an AKAI AP-B21 turntable which I bought used about 6 months ago.

Around 2 months ago I noticed some distortion when listening, drums were softer and bass frequencies were weak. I checked the stylus and it was completely worn so I ordered another.

I fitted my new stylus and was shocked when it sounded worse than the other stylus. Some things sound better, like drums have more impact but the bass is still weak and the distortion is worse.

I've tried listening with the speakers switched off and I can hear heavy distortion through the tone arm. I'm guessing it could be the cartridge but I don't know for sure. I found that adjusting the weight and anti skating helps a little with distortion but doesn't solve anything else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I'm not sure when the cartridge was last replaced or if it ever has been. Thanks for the link, the service manual should come in handy. Hopefully a new cartridge shouldn't cost too much. I was going to buy a new TT but the one I have now (when it is working) sounds excellent.

Also, is it still ok to listen to records as the stylus itself is ok.

Check the headshell wires and see if they are connected at the correct cartridge pins

I've checked that and it's all wired up correctly. I've noticed there is discolouring on the bottom of the cartridge, almost like corrosion so I'm going to buy a new one next Friday. If that doesn't help then I don't what it could be.

For now though I'm playing it through a boom box which still sounds good and the distortion isn't as harsh, but I've got a new set of speakers that I'm eager to try out. Doesn't seem worth hooking them up yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.