Technics SL1100 / SL110 Fault - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2010, 03:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Default Technics SL1100 / SL110 Fault

Hi,

Iíve got a Technics SL1100 / 110 and it seems to start intermittently. Itíll start / stop indefinitely if you leave it in one place, but when you move it (after removing the platter) it won't re-start at all. When you put the platter down it seems to be a lottery as to whether itíll work or not. Although I can use it and it keeps pitch fine, I canít live without being able to move it.

Iíve attached the schematic. When it fails to start, it doesnít move at all Ė itís completely dead. It either works perfectly or not at all. Iíve tested all switches and polished connector pins / deoxit. It has new electrolytic caps. I canít figure out if this is a mechanical fault or electronic. Itís not easy to get probes in there while the platterís on.

Any tips gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Justin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schem.jpg (599.1 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by thermionic; 23rd January 2010 at 03:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
 
Netlist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Without schematic I think you should look for bad solderings. Components like power resistors and -transistors are the main suspects.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 03:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netlist View Post
Without schematic I think you should look for bad solderings. Components like power resistors and -transistors are the main suspects.
Sorry! I failed to attach the schematic. Please see edited post.

Power resistors? Do they go bad? I see bad caps every day, but this is a new one. I'll desolder them and measure with my LCR meter.

Can transistors go intermittent? In my experience they either work or they don't.

I'm really suspicious of the drive system here. Having said that, if the motor / feedback coil were a problem, it would do something, right?

Thanks.
J
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
 
Netlist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I meant the solder joints of power R's and transistors.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 07:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netlist View Post
I meant the solder joints of power R's and transistors.
You made it clear - I have been stressed today and probably wasn't comprehending you. I've reworked all the joints on PCB, and - what I believe *may* have been the culprit: stripped and re-soldered a lead to the motor - it was loose and felt as if it were going to snap...

J
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
 
Netlist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Keep us informed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 08:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: whitby ont
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic View Post
Hi,

Iíve got a Technics SL1100 / 110 and it seems to start intermittently. Itíll start / stop indefinitely if you leave it in one place, but when you move it (after removing the platter) it won't re-start at all. When you put the platter down it seems to be a lottery as to whether itíll work or not. Although I can use it and it keeps pitch fine, I canít live without being able to move it.

Iíve attached the schematic. When it fails to start, it doesnít move at all Ė itís completely dead. It either works perfectly or not at all. Iíve tested all switches and polished connector pins / deoxit. It has new electrolytic caps. I canít figure out if this is a mechanical fault or electronic. Itís not easy to get probes in there while the platterís on.

Any tips gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Justin
Hi Justin
I bought my SL1100 at 1972, it had problem of speed stable before when pressed the switch for checking speed, the speed changed, also same by finger hit the body too, 5 years ago I did the modification, I took the whole power unit out into a separate box, connected to the motor with a extend cable, replaced the speed control with a precision potentiometer (10 turns) , if you doing in this way you can easily to check all the out put voltages, I also kock off the legs replaced by cones, make it thinner, now it work very stable and no more problems, but I only use it as a driving motor for my belt drive TT and have supper result
regard Tony Ma
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 073.jpg (92.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 072.jpg (81.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (82.3 KB, 65 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 09:56 PM   #8
Sendy is offline Sendy  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
May be irregular defect inside component. Often problems in heat-stressed parts (power resistors, transistors, etc.).
I would solder a set of thin wires on the important points (GND, supply, oscillator, output stage) and measured on the complete device.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMPS Fault Tripmaster Power Supplies 7 22nd October 2011 01:18 PM
cd6000 fault goodlife Digital Source 11 28th April 2006 07:31 PM
Buffer Fault pete.a Chip Amps 17 8th September 2004 09:10 PM
Is it my crossovers fault? rukkes Multi-Way 3 27th April 2004 06:50 PM
alpha 5 Fault paulcurrie Digital Source 2 13th February 2004 12:32 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:23 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2