2N2222A phono preamp

Ivey, is my great grandfather, born on the morning FDR became president for the first time

Joe
Ivey is very lucky to have you. You are lucky to know a great grandfather. All of mine were dead by the time I was born.

I want to bread board this preamp. As soon as I get the tube preamp I am doing finished I will whip Ivey's design up and give it a spin.

Best
Robert

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cascaded diff amps with passiive Riaa and a bootstrap.
indiscreet1.jpg

Joined 2007
Paid Member
And, the 2n2219A --

Nice of you to find this thread! Did you know that Ivey has passed on? Or at least his grandson posted that Ivey had passed on. He had health issues. I had PM'ed him a bit and he was quite a character. He severely dissed my state of Texas in his PMs and you may have noticed that Scott Wurcer had to clear the air on some comments made by Ivey.

Truly a character but I just wish I knew what pieces of his are true gold. He was a man with many opinions. I've purchased the parts but not put anything together at this point to give his phono pre-amp a try.

As I told Scott, I know this ain't the latest and greatest but it would just be fun (for me) to build and listen.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
His heart was in the right place. A real character. R.I.P. Ivey.

It always amazes me how people can give and give right up to the very last moment.

My oldies but goodies work horses are -- or as SW calls them ... place holders... are the 2N2222a, 2219a, 2905a and 2207a. Now there are a few other newer place holders. I guess we will say good-bye now and close this out?

-Richard Marsh

Joined 2007
Paid Member
His heart was in the right place. A real character. R.I.P. Ivey.

It always amazes me how people can give and give right up to the very last moment.

My oldies but goodies work horses are -- or as SW calls them ... place holders... are the 2N2222a, 2219a, 2905a and 2207a. Now there are a few other newer place holders. I guess we will say good-bye now and close this out?

-Richard Marsh

:up:

Nice of you to find this thread! Did you know that Ivey has passed on? Or at least his grandson posted that Ivey had passed on. He had health issues. I had PM'ed him a bit and he was quite a character. He severely dissed my state of Texas in his PMs and you may have noticed that Scott Wurcer had to clear the air on some comments made by Ivey.

Truly a character but I just wish I knew what pieces of his are true gold. He was a man with many opinions. I've purchased the parts but not put anything together at this point to give his phono pre-amp a try.

As I told Scott, I know this ain't the latest and greatest but it would just be fun (for me) to build and listen.

I totally agree sonidos. I've learned a lot from Ivey and i love riaa circuits, i built dozens of riaa phono stage with tubes, bjts, fets, etc.
Thanks Ivey, wherever you are now, great man, and technician!!!
Maybe Ivey Riaa is not the best but i think that certain "finesses" in his topology had to be developed.
In memory of Ivey i studied his circuit in my multisim, started to test in real life and i would like to share my implementations and optimized components values. For an "old" riaa, calculated by hand, it's a great result!
If you want i will show my "tribute" to Ivey with my schematic and graphs from simulator, than a simple pcb with or without his series regulated supply, so similar to that i used for years with excellent low-noise satisfaction in musicality.
Are you curious? ;)
Sonically yours,
Gianni

Ok, let's start!
Major improvements are:
Less distortion: from 0,3% to 0,03% @5mVrms - 1KHz
More headroom, especially in high band: before it was 2dB @20KHz, now 10dB!
More accurate RIAA curve: now is within 0,2db with E12 series!
Less noise: now it's under 80dB @1KHz and under 65dB @20KHz.
Added the possibility to tune-up the MM with an additional loading cap and/or resistor (asked during the thread).

I prefer a light subsonic filter under 40Hz, it's easy for everybody to modify a capacitor if you want to go flat @20Hz.

I use 2n2222A in TO-18 metal case and i love this simple and old circuit!!!

I would like any feedback, i will answer to tell my point of view and my choices.
Regards,
Gianni

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 1,347
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 1,291