Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2010, 01:44 AM   #61
Ivey is offline Ivey  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sonidos

I returned from Brownville, Tx, attending my son's wedding this morning. A beauty daughter-inlaw and a huge wedding bill. Next time, my son will go the JP and get married. No more money from the "old man".

Three strikes, it is time to talk to Scott. His great wisdom from the Mass State, is something my son may need.

1. There are newer transistor designs on the market. But one will have to try them to see if they are a good fit.

But I would like to say something if I may.

Two days ago, I was told that I had to return the R&D equipment given to me 12 years ago. So I was looking for a function generator, and decided to make my own, since I know I could do a better job. One of the things I did not want to do, was to use the XR2206. It is good, and I have used it before and produced some outstanding items. But I wanted to use ICL8038 or Max038 because people talked about them.

They are no longer available.

So, I am back to the XR2206. Why? Because even thou it is a very old design. It is good. The Max038 and ICL8038. They had problems. So I am using the XR2206 as the center point of the design, with a video amp ic to take me into the high mhz range.

2. I went on eBay today and purchase two Oscopes. I have other test equipment. I purchase a BK and a Bell and Howell. Total cost with shipping $115.00 dollars.

3. Also on eBay, I purchased 360 sq in of 1/32 copper clad board, only $10.00 dollars. for the new Class A 30watt hybrid mostfet power amp, that I designed in Texas, as I baked in that hot Texas sun, drinking gallons of ice tea.

I own three oil wells in Texas, in Live Oak County, near Three Rivers, Texas. One of the new policeman, gave me a ticket for driving on my property. I gave it to my attorney.

I would love to hear what you got to say about your unit when it is finish.
And also about any tweaks that you do to it.

On eBay, they a have beautiful little digital scope for $85.00 dollars. A honey of thing, but I am old school and I prefer the old stuff.

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited by Ivey; 7th March 2010 at 01:48 AM. Reason: gammar
Old 7th March 2010, 10:37 AM   #62
Artie is offline Artie  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
There is nothing about 40yr. old 2N2222's that makes a breakthrough preamp.
Thats cool, but I didn't get the impression that he was calling it a "breakthrough". Merely a good learning/building block.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:49 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Thats cool, but I didn't get the impression that he was calling it a "breakthrough". Merely a good learning/building block.
I think the point is that nothing in the circuit depends on the "special" qualities of a 2N2222. It doesn't have any, except that it is a very good all rounder work-horse.

There are dozens of transistors which would do a better job in terms of noise.
Old 7th March 2010, 03:01 PM   #64
Ivey is offline Ivey  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Cliff

Yea.., you are right, it is an all round work horse of a transistor, similar to the BC107A.

But believe it or not, the 2N2222A is a very quite fellow @ a max 4db. Pretty good for a 50 year old.

Just returned from Texas, from attending and paying for my son's wedding. I will be turning over the family business to my two sons on Passover this month. I am too old to continue to head and handle things as before.

Managing a business is not like it use to be, when I was younger. And besides the pressure of labor contracts, materials, and equipment overhead, plus being worried about being ripped off from all directions, has taken its toll on me. And my God! Lets not forget the Government and their bloody taxes.

I received the business after my father's death in 1988. Then my brother passed away in 2003, leaving me to run it by myself. And with my daughter being murdered in 2006. The emotional roller coaster just killed my health and my overall out look of things. Not to forget the Wall Street boys of 2008, digging in your pockets for all the pennies that they can steal.

I got the information on the MPS404. I got to figure away to get it to you on the site. I have a scanner, I will look into using it for that purpose.

Before I took over the family business in 1988, I worked for others. I was given loads of R & D equipment to carry on my work by the firm. But my friend at the firm that I was once employed with, passed away at work. Heart attack. So this guy Jerry, who is a foe of me, got the board to remove my grant, and requested that I return everything.

No problem, I have lots of funds these days, not like before. So I went to the local electronics store to purchase new things. My god Cliff, all those buttons and digital computer interface items etc. etc. Just threw me for a loop.

So, I got on eBay and purchase the equipment I grew up with. No problem, it will all be here in a day or so. I can not believe I became afraid of re-education. Or maybe I am just brain lazy.

I will be leaving my upper social life behind, and just kick it with the guys I went to college with. Well, those of us that are left. These upper social guys keep trying to get me to invest in a huge boat. Do they know what the word boat stands for. Break Out Another Thousand. Those things are expensive to buy and to maintain.

Take Care

Ivey

Last edited by Ivey; 7th March 2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 25th March 2010, 08:41 AM   #65
ncdrawl is offline ncdrawl  United States
diyAudio Member

I am one of the guys who Ivey is helping out. He is a class act off this board as well as on. I have spoken to him via telephone, and could tell right away that he is a very smart guy, with a load of experience in many different areas. I enjoyed speaking with him.
my point is..
There are several guys(like me) who are learning a great deal here... .as you know..when it comes to audio...science doesnt explain everything. oftentimes it is at a loss..MOST Of the time even. We are talking about preferences here. Who cares about EIN statistics or newer chips or whatever the hell??If you have a "better" design, well by all means, go flog the damn thing somewhere else. this thread is about IVEY's design. Start your own damn thread.
I trust Ivey (again who has been doing this for a LONG time) a great deal.. So... Respect your elders....and please, for the benefit of everyone...

if you can't say something nice, then kindly keep your *((@# mouth shut.

thanks.

that whole "how can you take this seriously" comment... it really pissed me off. What a ****. I hope Wurcey makes good on his vow to cease participation.

Last edited by ncdrawl; 25th March 2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 25th March 2010, 01:52 PM   #66
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Default Hi ncdrawl

ncdrawl,

Are you the same that posts on Stereophile? If so, glad to see you here. I got tired about reading equipment reviews and decided to build my own.

Are you going to build this circuit? Can you tell us what project you are doing with Ivey?

As I mentioned to him, I've got the parts, but finding the time to build this has been hard. But I've got my fingers crossed that I can start soon. First with the psu and then with the phono preamp itself.

Again, I'll stick to the schematic, then see how it is affected by component changes, primarily transistors. I would be quite pleased if it replaces my $1000 Mistral phone pre.
Old 26th March 2010, 01:09 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdrawl View Post
I am one of the guys who Ivey is helping out. He is a class act off this board as well as on. I have spoken to him via telephone, and could tell right away that he is a very smart guy, with a load of experience in many different areas. I enjoyed speaking with him.
my point is..
There are several guys(like me) who are learning a great deal here... .as you know..when it comes to audio...science doesnt explain everything. oftentimes it is at a loss..MOST Of the time even. We are talking about preferences here. Who cares about EIN statistics or newer chips or whatever the hell??If you have a "better" design, well by all means, go flog the damn thing somewhere else. this thread is about IVEY's design. Start your own damn thread.
I trust Ivey (again who has been doing this for a LONG time) a great deal.. So... Respect your elders....and please, for the benefit of everyone...

if you can't say something nice, then kindly keep your *((@# mouth shut.

thanks.

that whole "how can you take this seriously" comment... it really pissed me off. What a ****. I hope Wurcey makes good on his vow to cease participation.
I’m sorry you felt compelled to post such a negative comment. I thought I was commenting on ideas not the person. The statement that the 2N2222 was the 2222’nd batch of some device is so stupid I honestly though this whole thing was a put-on. I have worked in this industry for 36 yr. and I guarantee that statement is wrong. So peace, I will not invade your space again. No one spells my name right, just no respect. Only four stars at least you could call me an *******.
Old 26th March 2010, 01:50 AM   #68
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

OK, Scott, you're an *******.

And ncdrawl, diyAudio is NOT Stereophile. The expectation is that participants will argue about technical questions- while vigorous disagreements are par for the course, personal attacks are NOT allowed. Please consider this an official warning.
Old 26th March 2010, 02:48 AM   #69
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivey View Post
I received the business after my father's death in 1988. Then my brother passed away in 2003, leaving me to run it by myself. And with my daughter being murdered in 2006. The emotional roller coaster just killed my health and my overall out look of things. Not to forget the Wall Street boys of 2008, digging in your pockets for all the pennies that they can steal.
Very, very sorry to hear about your daughter. Can't imagine anything more painful for a parent.
Old 26th March 2010, 04:15 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

IMHO, the 2N2222 is a wonderful part, regardless of its age. It's still one of the first small signal transistors I grab for most purposes. This reminds me of my old Ace Audio preamp from the mid '70s. If I remember right, it used 2, maybe 3 transistors for the RIAA section, and a simple output board. They offered the "zero distortion" version, which was nothing more than eliminating the output board entirely. No idea what the specs were for the RIAA section, but the sound was excellent. If I can find the schematic (50% chance) I'll post the transistor types just FYI.

Best,
Conrad

Hide this!Advertise here!