Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2010, 11:46 AM   #21
Ivey is offline Ivey  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I very sorry my error Mr. Mlloyd1

The power supply is a universal in nature. By changing the values and figuring out the voltages drops, it can be used for both Hi and low voltages and currents.

The PSU that you are speaking of, is for low voltage, but supports high current usage, up to about 5 amps, with a fair safety margin.

Lets see, the value of C3, C2, and R3, forms a circuit that provides not only low ripple, but a small amount of surge protection. The internal R of the darlington arrangement also aids in surge protection, with the zener providing reference in conjunction with R3 and C2.

This arrangement allows the circuit to be a capacitance multiplier, up to hundreds of thousands of uf's. To figure out the overall UF's that C2 brings to the circuit, it is.

C2's value, times the gain of Q1, times the gain of Q2.

By reducing the rise and fall times, the circuit itself reduces ripple, which reduces some of the voltage surge.

At turn on, C3 will charge up, quickly at first, until it reaches reference, where it will continue to charge, slowing down large surges with the aid of R3 , C3,and the zener. So a RS, is not required. But if you desire to include an RS, you can find the formula in any Amateur Radio Handbook.

To obtain the reference value of the requested zener, any combo of zeners can be used. But if you are making a PCB, it is much easier to use one close to the value you require.

Take Care

Ivey
Old 14th January 2010, 12:51 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

So input voltage for phono should be exactly 30 V and nothing more or less?
Old 16th January 2010, 08:25 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default More 2N2222A infor

Praznik:

I am very glad to hear from You.

Yes the operational voltage was set at 30volts DC. But that was because we had limits that we had to stay within. Just in case that a portable unit was to be built in the future, it would not tax the submarines overall battery load.

Even today, in nuclear submarines, one of the most important items is the submarines battery load.

Why?

Inport, shorepower is used to startup the nuclear reactor. It uses thousands of kilowatts to bring it up.

At sea, if the sub must restart her nuclear systems. They will need every kilowatt they can get their hands on.

One thing that I need to put not there.

In the beginning, there was not too many transistors that were available.
But today, there are thousands. So you can use the excellent 2N4401, which is like a 2N2222A, with a lower max frequency and similar switching speeds.

I am posting the beautiful layout of the 2N2222A, with PCB layout, and BOM.

Next I will post drawings on how to make wonderful and beautiful chassises. Using simple hand tools, with all the material being available at your local hardware. To most Americans, Mexicans, and Canadians. That would be Home Depot.

Take Care

Ivey
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2N2222APHONO.gif (4.4 KB, 1003 views)

Last edited by Ivey; 16th January 2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 16th January 2010, 08:34 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default PCB part placement layout and BOM

Her is the rest of it gentlemen:

Take Care

Ivey
Attached Images
File Type: gif PhonoUnit-01.GIF (20.2 KB, 999 views)
Old 16th January 2010, 09:47 PM   #25
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Ivey, being that many of us are tinkerers, I promise to tinker on this circuit.

I was wondering about replacing the 15 uF electrolytics at input and output with film caps. Or at the least, paralleling a 10 uF and 4.7 uF Silmic caps on input and output. The Elna Silmic caps are highly regarded. I doubt you ran around looking for audio grade components when you put this together.
Old 16th January 2010, 10:52 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I already draw schematics and PCB in eagle and in one weak i will have the board. I will post pictures later. I still don't know which PSU to choose because the one that you post has output voltage 35 V, but i think that phono will work also with 35 VDC or no? Tell me also, what kind of transformer to use for PSU.

greetings
Old 17th January 2010, 01:14 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer for PSU

Praznik, you can use the following transformer, 120/220 ac volts @ 25 ac volts 1amp.

I have the following PCB software, CircuitMaker 2000 Pro and Standard, Protel 99SE and DXP Designer 2004; along with Eagle Professional 4.16.

They are complete and with license. I was issued them by employeers and the Soffware makers themselves. Plus I have my dos software, Autotrax and Protel Schematic for dos, including Orcad 3.10 for dos, along with Eagle 2.0 for dos.

I have moved away from using the complex software packages, because I no longer do production work. And the circuits that I do produce, does not require the bells and whistles that I once needed in the past.

I have been cutting my use down to QucikRoute 3.6 Pro and Express PCB, along with DIY Layout.

But if Eagle Lite works for you, by all means use it.

Take Care

Ivey
Old 17th January 2010, 04:18 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

And how high is gain hier? This is not good for mc heads i guess?
Old 18th January 2010, 10:58 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Gain

Gain is high, it was design to use the 1957 Electro-Voice cartridge at the time.

They put out high mv around 7.6-8.5 mv.

Modern phono cartridges, put out about 4.9-5.7 mv.

So your overall gain from this unit is on the realm of approx 1.25 volts.

Enough to drive most tube power amps that has 12AX7 preamps stages.

SS amps as well. But a line/tonal preamp is always a good idea.

An example is the Aikiko Mosfet Amp. It needs lot of gain to drive it to full output, so a preamp is desired.

Take Care

Ivey
Old 18th January 2010, 01:25 PM   #30
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default 2N2222A phono preamp

end of split.

Hide this!Advertise here!