Parasound JC3 Phono - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2011, 08:40 PM   #101
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Today, we try to SERVO, in order to remove all the coupling caps, either: input, output, or feedback, if possible (more later)
Looking forward for the (more later) info to come.

I had enourmous trouble "voicing" my Riaa preamp because it depends so strongly upon caps behaviour... I Experimented with many and now I am satisfyed with my present "cooking" but it is far from perfect. I could not use expensive caps so I had to try severall bypass combinations until I got pleasant results.
Old 31st March 2011, 09:16 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
How do you make your measurements ?
See Linear Audio Vol 1 for lots of data.
Old 31st March 2011, 09:54 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Or in complex terms, does the statistical model hold at the extremes?

ES
Without a major research facility at your disposal you could never get into the realm of the extreme.

Even two #40 wires just touching with 1uA in them involves millions of atoms and ~10^12 electrons per second. Gold wire stretched until there is a single atom left will demonstrate the quantized Hall effect as it breaks, this would be a good place to start.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 31st March 2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 1st April 2011, 07:23 AM   #104
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

What were the silent resistors...??
Old 1st April 2011, 09:12 AM   #105
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Takman
Old 1st April 2011, 12:56 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Default Use of DC servos

As John said, the use of DC servos is a preferred technique for managing DC offset and avoiding the use of DC blocking capacitors that may degrade sound quality. In fact, I have an entire chapter on the use of DC servos in my Designing Audio Power Amplifiers book. Although treated there in the context of power amplifiers, most of the material applies equally well to the use of DC servos in phono preamps. There are some design subtleties that are important in applying DC servos that need to be understood.

Servo is a feedback loop and all of its components are in the signal path. This is especially true of the op amp(s) and the integrating capacitor(s). The op amp should be of audio grade, as it can inject noise and distortion into the signal path. Similarly, the integrating capacitor should be of high quality, polypropylene at minimum. Fortunately, the integrating capacitors used in DC servos do not usually have to be very large, so cost consideration of using high-quality capacitors are mitigated a bit.

Never use a DC servo that employs a non-inverting integrator. Unfortunately, this approach is popular with some designers. This circuit configures the integrator as a differential amplifier, using two integrating capacitors. In most circuits the use of the non-inverting integrator saves an op amp at the expense of an additional integrating capacitor. This is a mis-guided and poor trade-off in terms of both board area and cost. Worse yet, the common mode rejection of the non-inverting integrator depends on precise matching of the two capacitors, which is usually not available. Poor common mode rejection in the differential integrator can alter the servo frequency characteristics and allow unintended amounts of output back to the input stage.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 1st April 2011, 02:24 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

I've been toying with optical servos. True integration (I into C) and low value caps 1000pF will do.
Old 1st April 2011, 02:25 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

The use of servos and +/- supplies allows coupling cap free design. This has an extra benefit of reducing the number of IN SERIES connections in the audio path. The 'problems' are put in a parallel path and can be minimized or avoided, instead.
It must be said that a capacitor is not just the ideal device represented by a symbol on a schematic. It has leads (sometimes magnetic) dissimilar metal junctions (sometimes lousy) and it has an imperfect dielectric material, in virtually every case, except vacuum.
Care must be taken with the servos, however, and they should be DECOUPLED as much as possible from the audio itself.
Old 1st April 2011, 02:43 PM   #109
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Care must be taken with the servos, however, and they should be DECOUPLED as much as possible from the audio itself.
Put that in big letters. With some attention, the requirements that Bob rightly brought up can be minimized- a properly implemented servo can get by with moderately good opamps and caps, nothing fancy needed.
Old 1st April 2011, 03:09 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I've been toying with optical servos. True integration (I into C) and low value caps 1000pF will do.
In power amplifier input pairs I place power resistors next to the devices. These allows me thermal control of the offset from the bipolar input transistors! I also use lm34s to set the reference level!

Hide this!Advertise here!