Power supply for my "DIY" RIAA - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2010, 09:24 PM   #11
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

More later tonight.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help so far, it's very much appreciated.
Old 16th January 2010, 12:43 AM   #13
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
I would advise against going the 7xxx regulator route (or the lm317). In my brief experience, these regulators completely wreck the sound. Simply awful sound.
Old 16th January 2010, 01:19 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

The CRC supply is simple. Take a look at this:
My First Tube Power Supply

Now check this:
http://www.firstwatt.com/downloads/f1_srv_man.pdf
Go to the power supply, that is what you want. You can do with smaller caps, maybe 1000-4700 uF. The CRC sections act like a filter for the ripple.

There is group for a pcb version of the same supply as the one above. Go here:
Gb: F5 Pcb

Hope this helps!
Old 16th January 2010, 01:44 AM   #15
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Walt Jung has some info on regulators...
Services

A bunch of power supply links:
Power Supplies and Regulators for Hi-Fi Audio

I suspect a '317/'337 or the LT upgrades would be good enough. Somewhere I've got a layout that works with just about any positive/negative pair of 3-terminal regulators, whether 78/79, 317/337, in just about any package other than surface mount or TO3. It's got locations for input and output caps and protection diodes, and was based on a schematic from Audio Amateur (maybe by Walt Jung).
Old 18th January 2010, 06:17 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the help and options. I am reading and learning right now, and I'll keep you updated on the status here.
Old 18th January 2010, 06:34 PM   #17
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post

I would advise against going the 7xxx regulator route (or the lm317). In my brief experience, these regulators completely wreck the sound. Simply awful sound.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I heard this idea about 10 years ago ... so I built up a cathodefollower-based PS designed by an amplifier-designer mate of mine, to replace the LM317-based PS in my Oz designed, retail phono stage.

Not surprisingly, I thought it did sound better ... and when I took the modded phono stage over to the house of the guy who built them, and we compared mine against his stock unit, even he had to agree (and he was biased! )

So I no longer use LM317s and their ilk.

Regards,

Andy
Old 18th January 2010, 07:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Can you guys get a dose of common sense and not confuse the newbie? You want him to implement a rip-out preamp with a discrete regulator? Yeah, it really makes sense to put all that time and effort on something which probably is stuffed with +80/-20% ceramic caps! Of course he'll hear a difference Honestly, is there no more reason here?
Old 18th January 2010, 07:46 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbelly View Post
Can you guys get a dose of common sense and not confuse the newbie? You want him to implement a rip-out preamp with a discrete regulator? Yeah, it really makes sense to put all that time and effort on something which probably is stuffed with +80/-20% ceramic caps! Of course he'll hear a difference Honestly, is there no more reason here?
In my case I will at least start with something that I can understand from the instructions and schematics given. My knowledge level is not high enough yet that I can take something and just "apply it to work" for my purpose. In any case, I appreciate the information I have gotten in this thread.
Old 18th January 2010, 07:56 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

The CRC supply should work fine. I'm using it and can report that it sounds pretty good.

Hide this!Advertise here!