MC Step-up Xfmr and SNR - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2010, 04:18 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

If i tell you whats on some of my records from the time when i was young you will be shocked.
Old 9th January 2010, 04:22 PM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
If i tell you whats on some of my records from the time when i was young you will be shocked.
Doubt that seriously.
Old 11th January 2010, 04:57 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Cartridge SNR

Unfortunately there's more than white noise at the output. Keeping the hum below the same limits is, from a practical perspective, very unlikely. 200uV hum at the output means an equivalent (in your case) of 1.6nV hum at the input. I doubt any cartridge, arm wiring and cable can go that low in hum capturing. [QUOTE]

This afternoon I tested up a phono amp circuit that I posted on another thread, and I certainly agree with your comments about hum, etc. I am not sure, however, if they contradict the conclusions I described earlier. Whether one uses a high gain phono amp or a lower gain amp with a transformer, the source noise from cartridge and associated wiring will be the same. The amplifier stage, depending on its gain and 1st stage noise floor, will add differing amounts of noise which further degrades the SNR. Perhaps you are arguing that other sources of noise (hum, for example) will swamp cartridge thermal noise. If so, the case for using a stepup transformer may be less compelling.
Old 13th January 2010, 04:30 AM   #14
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_guy View Post
Perhaps you are arguing that other sources of noise (hum, for example) will swamp cartridge thermal noise. If so, the case for using a stepup transformer may be less compelling.
That's exactly what I'm saying. And that targeting 10dB as audibility threshold is an overkill.

BTW, transformers are about the worst devices when it comes to hum capturing.

Hide this!Advertise here!