Should I cover VPI plinth with EAR SD-40?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have my HW-19 all apart to re-finish and add spikes to the base. I see that great big sheet of aluminum backing the top plate, then look on the shelf and see a great big sheet of EAR SD-40 and think, hmmmm, would damping the aluminum make the sound more, or less, lively?

Getting the SD-40 back off the aluminum if I don't like it would be a PITA.

E-A-R Specialty Composites

E-A-R Specialty Composites

At least in my HW-19, the plinth is quite well-damped- tapping on the surface gives a rather tuneless "tick." At one point, I tried adding damping material but it had very little (maybe no) effect. The armboard would be a better candidate, I think.

Biggest improvement for me was to change the bearing lubricant. I dispersed some tungsten disulfide nanoparticles (from ApNano) into a mineral oil base, then, after carefully cleaning out the old oil, coated the bearing with the new lubricant. This noticeably dropped the noise floor and made things less rumble-grumble.

I've got plans and parts for a more advanced motor drive which keeps getting pushed back in my project queue...

tungsten disulfide nanoparticles

Interesting website (ApNano) but they don't list any US dealers. Buy it the same place I get my DiLithium Crystals?
47495fe6.gif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.