diy wooden turntable and phy-hp replica unipivot tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe I should tell little bit about my projects. I started to think about building a turntable of my own about two yars ago.I saw teres audios wooden turntables, and was inspired. I had thorens td 320 turntable and I started by making a platter out of wood to it. Sound got better and then I made a complete turntable out of plywood, using parts of thorens(bearing, subplatter and motor). After that I made platter out of mahogany and the plinth out of plywood. I made the bearing myself.

My goal was to make my own unipivot tonearm, and then I saw phy-hp:s Salaberts tonearm, and decided to try to make my own. I got It done, and It sounds good!

I have new projects in my head all the time, and I will put some pictures here when I start to build something new.

Thank You.Here are few pictures.

corleone 009.JPG

corleone 006.JPG

nice job, how about the motor ? AC or DC, I give you my idea is to use a old direct drive tt as the motor, and use a really very thin elastic thread (from clothing material supply) for the belt. the only thing you have to do is turn both by hand first and power on, ratio almost 1:1 very quite and smooth, and the bearing of a direct drive platter is much better than any other power motor, keep going and good luck also happy new year
regard Tony KY Ma

nice job, how about the motor ? AC or DC, I give you my idea is to use a old direct drive tt as the motor, and use a really very thin elastic thread (from clothing material supply) for the belt. the only thing you have to do is turn both by hand first and power on, ratio almost 1:1 very quite and smooth, and the bearing of a direct drive platter is much better than any other power motor, keep going and good luck also happy new year
regard Tony KY Ma
oh sorry I forgot the pictures

Attachments

• Systems of Equations Sheet 24 005.jpg
    Systems of Equations Sheet 24 005.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,452
  • Systems of Equations Sheet 24 008.jpg
    Systems of Equations Sheet 24 008.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,421
very nice indeed

a thing of beauty.

You may have decided to "knock off" an idea (the Teres inspired platter), but may not know why it works (did you make the bearing Teres-like?).

The density of Mahogany varies from about .51g/cc (African) to .6g/cc (Tropical American). The density of vinyl records is approximately 1.34g/cc .

From that you can see that the platter will help "sink" vibrations and be self dampening. Corian has a similar density to vinyl. To me the use of anything with a lower density to the vinyl being used for records gains something...the quick dampening and heat dissipation of vibrations and any stored energy. Dave's Corian platter sounds very good as well, with a mat on it. The benefits of using a solid surface material is that it is denser and for a particular dimension will be heavier, thus allowing for more inertia per volume of material.

I am sure that each of the woods may have a different sound to them, as would the solid surface options. This is why I think glass platters are not a good option: 2.19g/cc. It's more dense and can cause vibrations to be reflected back to the platter and smear the sound.

Love the tonearm as well. very nicely done! What material (dimensional brass?). Are the loudspeakers DIY with PHY drivers? (I'm jealous!)
Did you make the bearing Teres-like?

Regardless, may you have a lifetime of good listening.

Last edited:
Thank You Nanook.

The bearing is not exactly like teres. I made magnetic bearing, a little bit like the one clearaudio uses.

In my experience wood is the best material for platter, and it looks beautiful. It is not the easiest material to use, because of the changes that moisture and heat might make.
I spent almost an year to finish the platter.

Thank you!
I knew I came to the right place:)

That is a really, really good idea, makes me wonder why I did not think about that before.

And Happy NewYear to You also!
by the way when you start the tone arm project, if you don't mind, I will tell you how to make a home make tone arm cable with solid silver but do not cost too much and much better than anything from the market
Tony KY Ma

by the way when you start the tone arm project, if you don't mind, I will tell you how to make a home make tone arm cable with solid silver but do not cost too much and much better than anything from the market
Tony KY Ma

That would be great, thank you. I actually have already done the tonearm, but I am going to change the wiring to it. The wiring I have in the arm at the moment is only temporary until I make new ones.

Here is few pictures of the arm.

Attachments

• varsi toiminnassa 010.JPG
    varsi toiminnassa 010.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 775
  • varsi 006.JPG
    varsi 006.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 776
  • varsi 003.JPG
    varsi 003.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 818
That would be great, thank you. I actually have already done the tonearm, but I am going to change the wiring to it. The wiring I have in the arm at the moment is only temporary until I make new ones.

Here is few pictures of the arm.
OK my cable is one piece about 4 feet long from cart direct solder to the phono amp's mc step up transformer's in-put. material is 28AWG 4N solid silver from Home Grown audio, 30AWG also will do the job but further thinner will not last for tie twist, will break off, they come with teflon tube, first cut 4 pieces in the length that you want, off the tube, hang them up with some weigh in the bottom, coat with polyurethane thin coat more than one coat is better. after dry through twist in two pair and twist again with the twisted, in doing this you will need a little tool. a piece card board as In the picture. drill 4 small holes with a tip in the middle for even distance in every twist and also with light tension force too, final wrap with thin teflon tape from pumping supply for outside protection . make sure there are no short circuit in twisting. and also it need break-in too load a resistor 2K plug to a radio line out play 24 hr. a day for a week, that will be enough for use. in here all my friends switch to this no matter how expensive tonearm they paid for .this is the bigger jump improve in the whole system but don't coast too much money . I hope you will understand what I talking with my poorer English
regard Tony KY Ma

Attachments

• Systems of Equations Sheet 24 050.jpg
    Systems of Equations Sheet 24 050.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 447
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.