Oracle Delphi Mk III suspension gauge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One part of the u- shaped gauge fits over the suspension pillar and is used to determine proper spring for each pillar. The gauge rests on top of the spring housing and should just touch the top of the centre post when the spring is the correct one. The distance from top of centre post to the top of spring housing is 3/4 inch to 13/16 inch (19 - 20 mm) according to instruction sheet from Oracle. My gauge actually measures 13/16 inch (21mm). This is for turntables serial number 1001 - 5694 according to one page of the instructions, but another page says 1001 - 6798.

There is a wider stepped portion at the bottom of the opening of the gauge which measures 5/16 inch (8.5)mm. On the gauge it is included as part of the 13/16 inch dimension, not added on to it. The instructions say this is for turntables with serial numbers 5695 - 8135, but the other page says 6799-9044, and the drawing doesn't show clearly how this step is used. Perhaps the spring housing is narrower and fits into the step. My Oracles are older so I don't need to use it and don't know about it.

A second part of the gauge is cut to determine the height from the deck to the spring housing after the proper springs have been chosen. Height is adjusted using the top knobs. The bottom of the spring housing should be 13/16 inch (20mm) from the table according to the instructions. At that distance it will rest on the cut out portion of the gauge. My gauge is actually 7/8 inch (22mm).

Altogether there are three measurements. One for older Oracles and one for newer Oracles to select the right spring for each pillar, and a third measurement for final adjustment of height.

If this doesn't help I'll try to figure out how to post an image of the instruction sheet.

Oracle suspension gauge...

I have an Alex Mk ll. There are no instrux for setting the suspension correctly and adjusting the springs as necessary.

barmycodger: would it be possible to provide all dimensions? Perhaps a pix, so that I can make my own (and hopefully) adjust my suspension? Or a sketch or whatever is easiest for you to do.

Us Oracle owners need to unite, (as there are evil pro-Linn forces all around us). :hypno2:

Last edited:
Hi, Nanook,
The suspension gauge and instructions are from an Oracle maintenance kit which I bought a few years ago. The kit has replacement parts such as springs, dampers and drive belt. The label on the box says the kit is for Oracle Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Mk4, and Mk5 --Delphi, Alexandria, and Premiere. The instructions don't mention the Alexandria and don't show the Alexandria setup. I have never seen an Alexandria except in photos. According to their web site --Oracle Audio - Product -- the maintenance kit is still available from Oracleand there is a photo of what's in the kit.

Vinyl Engine --Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable -- has a library of information about turntables and tonearms. You must register to download documents. I found three PDFs of instructions for the Alexandria. One of the PDF shows setting up the early model but gives no information about the suspension. I guess this is because the tonearm was included and everything was already adjusted for the standard arrangement. Another PDF is an announcement of a new suspension. It has an illustration which shows that it's the same as the other Oracles. That means it uses the same parts such as springs, dampers, etc. which come in the maintenance kit. But of course it is arranged differently than on the Delphis. The third PDF shows setup for Alexandria Mk3. It shows a suspension gauge and explains how to use it. The illustration doesn't look anything like the gauge which I have, and dimensions aren't shown. If your turntable is satisfactory now, then maybe you can measure the distance and make a gauge from that for use later. It looks like only one dimension is important.

I downloaded two of the instruction manuals for the Delphi. One of them mentions using a cardboard gauge included with the turntable. There is no picture of the gauge and I've never seen it. However, the manuals for both the Alexandria and the Delphi show setup procedures which are useful. I can possibly scan the instructions I have and get them to you somehow, but I think they will be of no use. I think it's best to get the PDF for the Alexandria Mk III and make your own gauge based on your current setup. Perhaps e-mailing Oracle would be worthwhile.

-Terry Chatelain

I have lost my suspension gauge and know that you can make one out of carboard but need the measurements. If anybody can please post it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
Just scanned my original gauge at 300dpi - the ruler scale is in mm.

Attachments

• oracle_gauge.jpg
    oracle_gauge.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 454
This gauge was from a Delphi 3, but as far as I know could be used for the original Delphi and Delphi2, as well as the Premier's if you have the proper springs and do not use the counterweight. If you look at the instructions/owner manuals - they are all stored at Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable - setting the suspension with the gauge is only briefly referred in the manual of the Delphi3. The procedure is much better explained in the manual of the Delphi5, showing the gauge and suspension photos.

I have an Alex Mk ll. There are no instrux for setting the suspension correctly and adjusting the springs as necessary.

barmycodger: would it be possible to provide all dimensions? Perhaps a pix, so that I can make my own (and hopefully) adjust my suspension? Or a sketch or whatever is easiest for you to do.

Us Oracle owners need to unite, (as there are evil pro-Linn forces all around us). :hypno2:

I have an Alex Mk I that was upgraded to Mk II in the 80's and have the Mk II manual along with the original Alex manual and the info from the upgrade kit.

Let me know if you need any of this and I will scan it and send it off.

Regards,
Todd

2002ss335...Yes please!

I believe the manual I have is for a Mk ll, but send it along anyway. I could also use the Mkl and the kit information and instructions. I absolutely appreciate this. Have you posted this over at the vinyl engine?

Thanks in advance

stew

PS: please send via regular email, as large file size as possible. Please see my profile for contact information.

I am still using the Alex Mk1 with Grace F9E both purchased in the 80s. It was fairly hefty investment at the time and was meant to replace the Rega 3/ Empire 2000 combo (considered obsolete then) - a move I regreted ever since. The Alex sounded smooth but lack of 3 dimension, depth and musicality the Rega so amply demonstrated. Reading your discussions here I wondered what improvements I might apply to the Mk 1. I know,the upgrade bug is acting up again. Any opinions/ideas are thoroughly welcome and appreciated.

Peter

give it to me:)

As long as the Alex does not have the Oracle "Prelude" arm, not too much. I have the dynamic stabilizer, and a wall wart. I'd like to build a large stiff power supply like an (DIY) Armageddon...

so a stiff power supply, and the "dynamic stabilizer might be the way to go, and get ye a different arm if you have the Prelude.

Thanks for the quick reply. yah, I have the "Prelude" and thinking about the RB300 for a while. I am also interested to upgrade the F9E to F9E ruby. But what is a dynamic stablizer? How does it work? I would like to know something about that.I am currently using a Monster line conditioner in my system.It does make a difference.

I was in Oracle-Audio site the other day and downloaded Update pdf file. There were some interesting articles including the importance of suspension adjustment and others. I'll spend some time to further looking into it. Don't tell me all these disapointments (from the turntable) for so long were becuase of misalignment , incorrect adjustment of suspension and all that.Although,come think of it,that might not be a total remote impossibility.

The Delphi is not easy to set up. If you get the Oracle I suggest getting their Maintenance Kit which includes new belt, a syringe of oil, new vibration dampers, and various springs to handle the weights of different tonearms. Most importantly the kit includes instructions and a gauge for setting up the turntable. Set up doesn't require a lot of skill or special tools, but does require patience. Setup instructions are also available at Vinyl Engine so you can take a look before you leap.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Barmy :D
As long as the information and parts are available this is not too big a concern, and I am learning patience.. :) Hopefully once set up the settings are relatively stable over a few years at least..

Overall what is your impression of the performance of one of these tables when properly set up?

upgrading a MkII

First off, any comments regarding the Alex MkII needs to take into consideration of the tonearm. If an SME/Oracle "345", then this arm is very acceptable. It is also very sutable on a Delphi, or Premier for matter.

Depending on the purchase price of the table Delphi MkII (and whether it includes a reasonable arm---NOT the Prelude), all the upgrade parts are available to MKIV status I believe. This is not the maintenance kit, but an upgrade kit. AFAIK, there is no mod from MkIV to MkV spec. Contact Oracle Audio Technologies.

The "dynamic stabilizer" is an add on box between the power supply and the turntable. It is a group of capacitors to help maintain voltage, regardless of current draw on the motor, a few diodes, and a LM317T voltage regulator...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.