DIY parallel tracker air arm - another one

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
So you are using coils...!

I am using a jfet as primary load so I guess I should use at least 10x internal cart impedance (L=17ohm for the AT 33PTG).

This cart is similar in specs to a Denon 103R and these sing beautifully with 150r.... I will go very near that.

Thanks for the imput.

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Piccolo seems to be only a stepup amp without riaa equalization.... Am I right ?

In that case, what where your impressions when using the 150r loading ?

Does timbre get lost ? Did you not get a wider soundstage ?

Maybe Hagerman Piccolo uses his special upper 3.18us (50kHz) corner in its transfer function built in.... this produces a boost in the high frequencies needed to cope with lathe cutting head cut off at the same freq.
If so, that explains why you need to cut high freq output by heavy loading your cart :)

Last edited:
Piccolo seems to be only a stepup amp without riaa equalization.... Am I right ?

Yes.

In that case, what where your impressions when using the 150r loading ?

My Piccolo has stock resistor settings, 47,100,220,470,1k,47k. PTG33 sounds fine at 100R.

Does timbre get lost ? Did you not get a wider soundstage ?

Transformer loading sounds more natural, with better detail. Piccolo has a very good soundstage thou.

Maybe Hagerman Piccolo uses his special upper 3.18us (50kHz) corner in its transfer function built in.... this produces a boost in the high frequencies needed to cope with lathe cutting head cut off at the same freq.
If so, that explains why you need to cut high freq output by heavy loading your cart :)

Not sure. Piccolo is very neutral at high frequencies, compared to transformers. If anything, transformers give better high frequency definition.

Jeff

Joined 2006
Paid Member
After some reading I understand my question about the upper 50khz corner can not be applied to the Piccolo. (After all it does not have riaa eq built in :))

So the AT33PTG sounds ok with 100r.... did you try 220r also ?

PS: I know I am a little off topic here so this will be my last post but I really need your input.

Regards
Ricardo

I've been listening to music with my Piccolo set at 220R for a couple days now, and I'm really enjoying the presentation. I've got my big amp back up and running, so really don't have too much to complain about. I think I'll leave the Piccolo set at 220R for a while before going back to 47R to see if I'm missing anything.

Jeff

I use a carbon fiber wand also bud the head shell comes from an old AKAI turntable.
If you are making a new wand you may try this to.
Because of the weight from the tonearm wires the pressure on the tip of the needle was not stable.
P1040119.jpg

Hi, I am thinking of trying something similar, but (looking at the above photo) I have a question.

Is there a minimum distance from the stylus contact point to the vertical bearing? The above arm is very short. I would think at some point the VTA starts to vary with record imperfections (undulations) and it affects performance?

Hi tnargs.
There is no minimum length bud when the tone arm is getting to short some of your warped albums become garbage.
The height of the warped album is determined, the length of the arm.
Also the used cartridge is a factor in this.
Some are more sensitive.
In my case I will not go shorter than 8 cm.

terminator question

I am wondering what the life span of the "holes in tape" type slide would be. Has any one a technique to drill the holes? Bit concerned that if i glue it up, i can get back in to replace tape.
Also, can i use my shop compressor with a tank upstairs? Not worried about noise but wondering about the small amount of oil in the air.
Kind regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.